Counter-proposal for XML Schema: XML Notation Schemas

From: Rick Jelliffe <ricko@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 18:12:13 +0800
To: <www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org>
Cc: "James Clark" <jjc@jclark.com>
Congratulations on the XML Schema draft.

I have previously noted several deficiencies in the draft, but rather than just complain, I thought it would be useful to contribute a counter-proposal.

My proposal is fairly radical: however it provides a much more unified approach to extended pattern matching that the current draft, and it fits in better with XHMTL, RDF, XSL, the Information Set, Fragments, and XLink.  It also addresses several issues I am particularly concerned about (i18n, xml-mime) and (I believe) allows a better path to make Murata Makoto's forest automata work useable.

Furthermore, I think it would be popular with users.

The proposal is called "XML Notation Schemas": it can be found at http://www.ascc.net/~ricko/notation.htm

Rick Jelliffe
Computing Centre
Academia Sinica