Argh...Entities

From: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 15:15:49 -0500
To: www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org, xml-dev <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
I am disappointed that the schema working group decided to extend SGML and
XML's conflation of resource provision (entities) and document structure
constraints. I would be glad to work on an XML instance-syntax resource
provision specification if it would help you to split it off. I am already
experimenting in that direction.

I am not the first to point out that allowing parsed entities to be
specified in a schema is violently incompatible with XML 1.0's notion of
well-formedness. Even were that not the case it seems clear to me that
validating a document and *completing it* are two different steps.
Preumably the document's structure should be complete before validation
begins. Surely now is the right time to correct this 13 year old mistake!

 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

And so, in one of history's little ironies, the global triumph of bad
software in the age of the PC was reversed by a surprising combination
of forces: the social transformation initiated by the network, a
long-discarded European theory of political economy, and a small band
of programmers throughout the world mobilized by a single simple idea.
 - http://old.law.columbia.edu/my_pubs/anarchism.html