Comments regarding XML Query Algebra and long term

From: Murali Mani <mani@CS.UCLA.EDU>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 16:26:45 -0800 (PST)
To: <www-xml-query-comments@w3.org>

Hi,

This mail pertains to my personal opinions on the XML Query Algebra and
looking at it with a slightly long term vision.

I think the Query Language is very good (of course, I *have to* say that
it does not support tree pattern matching, an operation necessary for
several XML applications), but the Query Algebra, I think it is quite
shaky and probably is on shaky foundations too.

I am interested that the Query WG not repeat the *terrible* mistakes made
by the Schema WG. I am slightly afraid that to me, it appears that the
algebra is going in this direction.

To this end, I would like to request you to request people to come up with
algebras for XML query, and be ready to consider them for their merits in
an objective manner.

<warning>speaking for himself only</warning>

regards - murali.