RE: XPointer architecture (Re: [xml-dev] XPointer and XML Schema)

On Wednesday, October 16, 2002 2:17 AM, Eric van der vlist wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-10-16 at 08:53, Ron Daniel wrote:
> >
> > Currently, DTDs and XML Schemas are the only W3C-specified means
> > of declaring that an attribute is of type ID. Citing them as the
> > normative means of determing ID-ness seems to hit about a 90/10
> > tradeoff for interoperation.
>
> I strongly disagree with this for two reasons:
>
> 1) This is creating specs with potential dead locks that become
> difficult to update (imagine the W3C creating next year a new mecanism
> to define IDs, you would have to update XPointer to
> accomodate this new
> spec).

The Working Group discussed this a couple of weeks ago and
agreed that 'ID-ness' should be determined by looking at infoset
properties, and that DTDs and XML Schemas should not be the
only allowed means of setting those infoset properties.

The draft has been updated to add a fourth step to determining
if an element has an ID. The draft now says:

  The identifiers of an element are determined as follows:
  1) If an element information item has an attribute information
     item among its [attributes] that is a schema-determined ID,
     then it is identified by the value of that attribute
     information item's [schema normalized value] property;
  2) If an element information item has an element information
     item among its [children] that is a schema-determined ID,
     then it is identified by the value of that element information
     item's [schema normalized value] property;
  3) If an element information item has an attribute information
     item among its [attributes] that is a DTD-determined ID,
     then it is identified by the value of that attribute information
     item's [normalized value] property.
  4) An element information item may also be identified by an
     externally-determined ID value.

Please let us know as soon as possible if this is unsatisfactory,
as we are scheduled to review our disposition of all comments
later this week in preparation for publication as a PR.

Best regards,
Ron Daniel Jr.
Acting chair, XML Linking Working Group