Re: comments on xmlns() scheme

On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 12:27:34PM -0500, Vun Kannon, David wrote:

> How should the xmlns() scheme be used to specify the default namespace?

  Like for a non-default namespace i.e. with a given prefix:
    - in XPath a non qualified name refers to a not-namespaced name
    - to address a name in the default namespace, one must bind that
      namespace URI to a prefix and use that prefix in the XPath expression

 XPointer inherits this aspect from XPath since it only expands XPath
addressability, not the syntactic or base steps aspects.

> XBRL taxonomy linkbases contain XLink extended links. These linkbases may
> contain thousands of locators whose xlink:href attributes point to specific
> elements in specific namespaces. My reading of the XPointer drafts is that
> they would require the repetition of the xmlns() scheme part in every href
> in the file.

  yes, XPointers are subpart of URIs which have to be context independant,
that's why xmlns() scheme was added (i.e. make sure namespaces bindings in
XPointer expressions are not inherited from the context).

Daniel