Re: Errors in XPointer Specification

Axel Dahmen <a.dahmen@infozoom.de> wrote:

> I believe to have found two errors in the XPointer Specification 1.0. Since
> there is no Errata page yet, these might be of interest:
>
> -----------------------------------
>
> Error in 5.4.2:
>
> "The default value is 1, which makes the range start immediately before the
> first character of the matched string."
>
>         should read:
>
> "... immediately after ..."
>
> according to 5.3.1 ("...a non-zero index n indicates an point immediately
> after the nth character of the string-value.")
>
> And thus, the default value should be 0.

By your reference to 5.3.1, you appear to be inferring that the third
argument of string-range() is (or should be) the value of the 'index'
property of a point-location, but this is not the case. Yes, the third
argument does identify a point-location, but not nearly so directly.

Mind you, it's still a valid opinion that a value of *0* should make the
range start immediately before the first character of the matched string.
However, it seems to be an opinion that WG considered and decided against.
See the second Note in 5.3.1: "The zero-based counting of node-points [and
analogously, character-points] differs from the one-based counting of
string-range and other XPointer and XPath functions."

> -----------------------------------
>
> Error in 5.4.3:
>
> point start-point(point)
> point end-point(point)
>
>         should read:
>
> location-set start-point(location-set)
> location-set end-point(location-set)
>
> According to the description ("For each location x in the argument
> location-set, start-point adds a location...").

Yup. See
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xml-linking-comments/2000JulSep/0072.html
and
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xml-linking-comments/2000JulSep/0147.html