Robots PI (non-normative)?

From: Walter Underwood <wunder@infoseek.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 08:53:07 -0800
To: www-xml-linking-comments@w3.org
I know this is a day after Last Call. Sorry.

Robots are an important class of link-aware applications.
Document authors need to be able to give hints to robots
about whether the links in a document should be followed.

This is sufficiently important that it is included in
Section B.4.1 (non-normative) in the HTML 4.0 spec.

A draft specification which could be included in a
non-normative appendix is here:

   http://homepages.go.com/~wunder0/robots-pi.html

This proposes a minimal robots PI, effectively the same
as the HTML robots meta tag. This has proven adequate
over several years of WWW use.

This was discussed on xml-dev, the robots mailing list,
and posted to (with no responses) xlxp-dev. Most of the
comments were resolved. I can provide a digest of the
discussion, if that would be helpful.

If a non-normative appendix is not possible, I would hope
that someone on the committee could sponsor this as a
NOTE.

wunder
--
Walter R. Underwood