External linkbases

From: Karen Lease <klease@vftis.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 18:24:04 -0000
To: "'www-xml-linking-comments@w3.org'" <www-xml-linking-comments@w3.org>
I would like to confirm my understanding of how one might use a
linkbase.

Suppose I have a collection of documents. I have an element <tool
ref="XXX"/> which can appear in these documents. Somewhere in the
collection, I also have one or several documents which contain more
information about the tools (picture, how to use...).
I want to make hyperlinks between my <tool> elements and the tool
descriptions.

I think I could do this by making one extended link for each tool and
storing them in a linkbase. All of my documents would reference this
linkbase. For example, the link for my XXX tool would look like this
(if I didn't use any attribute defaults, which I certainly would) :
<tool.link xlink:type="extended">
  <tool.ref xlink:type="locator" xlink:role="ref"
xlink:href="#xptr(//tool[@ref='XXX'])"/>
  <tool.desc xlink:type="locator" xlink:role="descrip"
xlink:href="tooldesc1.xml"/>
  <tool.arc xlink:type="arc" xlink:from="ref" xlink:to="descrip"/>
</tool.link>

My question is: will the href on my tool.ref element
"#xptr(//tool[@ref='XXX'])" do what I want, which is to treat all of
the tool elements with an attribute ref whose value is XXX as link
sources? I would like this to work for any document in the collection,
without having to explicitly name each document in the href.

Thanks
Karen

/* =====================================
Karen Lease
SPX Valley Forge Technical Information Services
SPX France SA
147 avenue Paul Doumer
92500 Rueil-Malmaision France
Tel.: +33 (0)14751-1751