RE: Use of [ and ] in URIs

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 11:56:55 -0600
To: www-xml-linking-comments@w3.org

RE: Use of [ and ] in URIs
From: Larry Masinter (masinter@parc.xerox.com)
Date: Mon, Oct 04 1999

| I think the "Editor's note" 'In other words, the %-escaping
| is not really needed when XPointers are used in URIs in
| XML documents.' is wrong and should be removed.

I don't see that this comment has been addressed. It was sent
well before the 27 Dec 1999 last-call deadline... in fact, it
was sent before the start of last call. I'm re-sending this
to request that it be disposed of with other comments outstanding
as of the end of last call.

The spec still says:
	In other words, this type of escaping may not be a
         necessity when XPointers are used in URI-references in XML

If a string includes non-ASCII characters (or [ or ]), it is not, by
a URI-reference.

If you have W3C Member access, see also the somewhat related thread
starting with:

XPointer alphabet is uric, no?
From: Dan Connolly (connolly@w3.org)
Date: Tue, Jun 08 1999