xlink:resource and xlink:locator

From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 09:57:03 -0500
To: xlxp-dev@fsc.fujitsu.com
Cc: www-xml-linking-comments@w3.org
I'm concerned about some of the naming conventions in the Dec. 20,
1999 working draft of XLink. Both xlink:locator and xlink:resource
elements locate resources. An xlink:locator element locates a remote
resource. An xlink:resource element locates a local resource. I think
this is unnecessarily confusing.  It implies the wrong dichotomy
between the two elements. The real dichotomy is between local and
remote, not between resource and locator.

I think xlink:local and xlink:remote would be better names here, or
perhaps xlink:local-resource and xlink:remote-resource.

And of course, the same applies to the attribute based syntax. Comments?

|                  The XML Bible (IDG Books, 1999)                   |
|              http://metalab.unc.edu/xml/books/bible/               |
|   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0764532367/cafeaulaitA/   |
|  Read Cafe au Lait for Java News:  http://metalab.unc.edu/javafaq/ |
|  Read Cafe con Leche for XML News: http://metalab.unc.edu/xml/     |