XML 1.1 CR comment response for Tang-01

From: Paul Grosso <pgrosso@arbortext.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 16:16:37 -0500
To: ftang@netscape.com
Cc: www-xml-blueberry-comments@w3.org

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xml-blueberry-comments/2003Mar/0001.html
the XML Core WG generated, discussed, and resolved the follow issue:

Issue Tang-01:
Noncharacters for the Char production

Summary resolution: rejected

Response
--------
This suggestion would make more XML 1.0 documents non-XML 1.1, so it introduces
further backward incompatibilities. The level of backward incompatibility
that we introduced in 1.1 for the purposes of encoding error detection--which
is already contentious--is the result of a careful compromise, and we don't
want to change it at this time.
========

Please let us know whether you accept our resolution of our comment,
or wish to have an objection formally recorded.  If we do not hear
from you within 10 days we will assume that you accept our response
(though we would prefer to hear from you in any case if practical).

Thank you for your interest in the XML 1.1.

Paul Grosso
for the XML Core WG