Re: Issue: inconsistency of S production and treatment of line endings.

From: John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 10:17:37 -0400 (EDT)
To: alewis@tibco.com (Amelia A Lewis)
Cc: www-xml-blueberry-comments@w3.org

Amelia A Lewis scripsit:

> No specification seems to be made for the order of processing.  Because
> #xD is included in the space production, a processor might tokenize
> before normalization of line endings.

I agree that the language needs tightening here by adding a sentence to 1.1.

> 1) Add language requiring line ending normalization before tokenization
> (impose processing order requirements).

This was our intent.

> For consistency, redefine S to
> remove #xD, which cannot appear after line ending normalization.

As noted, it is possible by sufficient entity abuse to get a #xD character
into the replacement text of a parameter entity, so we do not plan to change
S even though any *physical* #xD character will be normalized away by 2.11.

--
Even a refrigerator can conform to the XML	John Cowan
Infoset, as long as it has a door sticker	jcowan@reutershealth.com