RE: Proposed Final Charter and Activity Proposal

One possible addition to the text of IPR Disclosure is:

"The XKMS Working Group will develop a Royalty Free (RF) specification as
defined by the Patent Policy Working Group [link =
http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Patent/Group/Drafts/WD-PPWG-Framework-20010308.html
]."

May be Danny can provide more refinement to this section.

/Shivaram

> Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 12:41:53 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Shivaram Mysore <Shivaram.Mysore@Sun.COM>
> Subject: RE: Proposed Final Charter and Activity Proposal
> To: www-xkms-ws@w3.org, pbaker@verisign.com, Shivaram.Mysore@Sun.COM
> Content-MD5: W9/a0vvQ8HiQXLf8L8tRZQ==
>
> One more Comment:
>
> There is no mention of any "Invited Experts" (Invited experts have to meet
some
> W3C confidentiality requirements and must also supply IPR statements.)
> anywhere.  This could be of concern for W3C.
>
> /Shivaram
>
> > Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 12:33:04 -0700 (PDT)
> > From: Shivaram Mysore <Shivaram.Mysore@Sun.COM>
> > Subject: RE: Proposed Final Charter and Activity Proposal
> > To: www-xkms-ws@w3.org, pbaker@verisign.com
> > Content-MD5: Yru6WPR74y/Dz7kBlFR1Dw==
> >

> > Here are some more comments:
> >
> > Activity Proposal:
> > -----------------
> >
> > 1.  Nowhere in the activity proposal does it actually make the case for why
> > 	WG should be formed to *continue* work on XKMS.  It gives every
> > 	impression that the work has already been done, and there's nothing
> > 	left to work on.  At least some attempt should be made to
> > 	describe to-be-designed features.
> >
> > 	The same is also true of the Charter, whose introduction talks about
> > 	what XKMS is, but not about what the WG is supposed to be for.
> >
> > 2.  Question "What intellectual property (for example, an
implementation)..."

> > 	In the answer to this, the following statement in the activity proposal
> > 	is only partially true:  "A significant advantage of forming a working
> > 	group is that members of the group who may have filed as yet undeclared
> > 	IP claims would be required to make a formal disclosure, thus clarifying
> > 	the IPR status of the specification."  However, it's in a *good* way!
> > 	Only participating companies offering RAND terms will be required to
> > 	disclose essential patents.  If you offer RF terms to your IP, then you
> > 	don't have to disclose anything.  (Even if the group has an RF mode,
> > 	participating companies are still allowed to offer RAND terms...)
> >
> > 	I think we need to reword this a little bit.
> >
> > 3.  Answer to the Q - "Should new groups be created?"
> > 	Assuming that there will be more than one group, without the likely
> > 	scopes of the additional groups described here.
> >
> > 	The same comment goes for scope item #4 in the charter.
> >
> > 	Also, the answer is not clear for the following statement - "Is the WG
> > 	only a meta-WG, or will it also produce Recommendation-track XKMS
> > 	drafts?"
> >

> > Charter:
> > -------
> >
> > 1.  The "Declaration of [Submitter]" wording in the charter has no context.
> > 	- Is this supposed to be what WG members need to fill out?
> > 	- Is it merely a suggestion?
> > 	- Is it illustrating the IPR statements that the principal authors of
> > 	  XKMS have agreed to?

> [...]

Shivaram H. Mysore

Software Engineer 				shivaram.mysore@eng.sun.com
Java Card Engineering				(408) 343-1653 (or x51653)
JavaSoft, Sun Microsystems Inc.			(408) 517-5460 - FAX
http://java.sun.com/people/shivaram 		http://mysore.eng/

Other Email(s) - shivaram.mysore@ieee.org, shivaram.mysore@computer.org
PGP Key fingerprint =  86 C3 94 A6 20 70 FE C9  D6 F4 C2 7D 15 4B 6A CB