RE: Issue: Synch/Asynch Web services

Roger,

I don't think that response time and "synchronous" necessarily have
anything to do with one another.

It would seem to me that what you are looking for is something along the
lines of quality of service
characteristics, one of which might be the average response time for a
request to be satisfied.
Of course, that would have to be added to the time it takes to transmit
both the request message
and the response message which would typically be dependent upon network
topology and
distance in addition to any intermediary processing that might be
interposed on either the
request or the response.

Note also that your characterization of "someone willing to wait an hour,
or for someone with an attention span like mine"
is suggestive of a human making a request. While it is true that one might
imagine that Web services
might be invoked by a "client" that also exposes a human interface (with a
human at the controls), I thought
that we had established that Web services were primarily addressed at
machine-to-machine interaction.
Machines have infinitely more patience than you or I (although you are
correct in observing that there might still
be valid reasons why a requestor might place time constraints on any
even be interested in automatically selecting a service provider based
upon its responsiveness
characteristics.

However, again, none of this has anything to do with "synchronous" or
"asynchronous" in my mind.

Cheers,

Christopher Ferris
email: chrisfer@us.ibm.com
phone: +1 508 234 3624

"Cutler, Roger (RogerCutler)" <RogerCutler@chevrontexaco.com>
Sent by: www-ws-arch-request@w3.org
08/06/2003 10:29 PM

"ECKERT,ZULAH (HP-Cupertino,ex1)" <zulah_eckert@hp.com>,
www-ws-arch@w3.org
cc
www-wsa-comments@w3.org
Subject
RE: Issue: Synch/Asynch Web services

Well, it's not something that I have thought through very clearly.  It
just seems to me that if I were a potential user of a Web service that
performed the X function, and if I wanted to do the X function
synchronously (that is, waiting for the answer to come back) -- well, I
might like to have some idea that a Web service could perform the X
function in some time that I would be willing to wait.  How long I am
willing to wait is kind of up to me.  Some people have shorter attention
spans than others.  So it seems to me that it might not be so hot if a Web
service advertised, somehow, "I am available for synchronous access".
Well, is that synchronous access for someone willing to wait an hour, or
for someone with an attention span like mine?  So it seems to me that it
would be better if a Web service were able to advertise, "This is the
response time I have typically given in the past.  If that meets your
needs, go for it ..."