Re: Artifacts in Requesters -- Simple Conventions for Diagrams

From: David Booth <dbooth@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 17:39:25 -0500
To: www-wsa-comments@w3.org
Cc: Heather Kreger <kreger@us.ibm.com>, "Christopher B Ferris" <chrisfer@us.ibm.com>

Chris,

Since I didn't see any response to the suggestion I made on Oct 21 to
clarify the diagrams, (see
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-arch/2002Oct/0306.html ), I
would like to reiterate that I think it's important to draw artifacts /
documents differently from actors / agents / roles.  There's a big
difference between an artifact and an actor (an artifact is a piece of
data, whereas an actor is something that can perform actions), and that
difference is muddied if they look similar in the diagrams.  In particular,
the diagrams currently use ovals for both a "Service" (which is an actor /
agent / role, depending on your terminology), and a "Service Description"
(which is an artifact / document, depending on your terminology).

This isn't a show stopper if there isn't time to fix it right now, but I
think it is important to fix when possible.  There is more explanation at:
http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/arch/2/10/diagram_conventions_clean.htm

Thanks

--
David Booth