Re: Standardization of WS-Eventing

Paul,

You are correct.  In March 2006, HP, IBM, Intel, and Microsoft published
the joint whitepaper you referenced to develop a converged set of Web
Services specifications for resources, events and management.   The
roadmap described the technical strategy to build on existing standards
and specifications and define a unified set of next generation Web
Services specifications for simplifying interoperability and
composability.

The reconciliation effort jointly published valuable specifications
including WS ResourceTransfer (WS-RT) and WS Resource Catalog (WS-RC).
These specs are now moving to a broader community of vendors and customers
---  WS-RT is referred to in the proposed W3C WG charter and WS-RC is in
the DMTF.

As for the other pieces of work that were proposed by the harmonization
roadmap, including WS-EvN, if, and until the time that something is
produced from the harmonization proceedings, other activities in the WS
community should not delay their work in anticipation of new documents
being produced.

Kind regards,

- Steve
IBM program director, emerging sw stds
USA: 1.877.251.8543 - Int'l: +1.801.607.3040

Paul Denning <pauld@mitre.org> wrote on 07/25/2008 09:29:03 AM:

> Please comment on the harmonization effort for WSDM and WS-Man that
> seems to have included some work on WS-Notification and WS-Eventing.
>
> http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/library/specification/ws-
> wsdmmgmt/index.html
> ( http://tinyurl.com/yshgtm )
>
> This links to a May 2007 document.  In particular, figure 2.1 shows
> Existing Stacks and Reconciled Stacks.
>
> Under the Reconciled stack, it shows WS-EVN over WS-Eventing'.
> That paper does not say much else about WS-EVN.
>
> A March 2006 version is at
> http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/
> specification/ws-roadmap/
> ( http://tinyurl.com/6avt5p )
> This paper talks about WS-EventNotification (presumably the same
> thing as WS-EVN in the May 2007 paper).  It seems to play a role in
> this space.
>
> Where does WS-EventNotification fit into this picture and how does it
> impact the work of this WG?  Is WS-EventNotification needed to
> "compose effectively"?
>
> Paul
>
> At 10:19 AM 2008-07-25, Steve Holbrook wrote:
>
> >IBM remains committed to use of the OASIS Standard WS-Notification
> >1.3 as the interoperability standard for enabling a broad range of
> >applications that include publish/subscribe and event notification
> >in the context of business and complex event processing scenarios.
> >However, we are supportive of the W3C standardization of WS-Eventing
> >because we appreciate that some in the Web Services community are
> >using it in certain domains such as device management and we are
> >interested in ensuring that such a standard compose effectively with
> >other Web services specifications including WS-Notification.
> >
> >Steve Holbrook
> >IBM AC Rep
> >IBM program director, emerging sw stds
> >USA: 1.877.251.8543 - Int'l: +1.801.607.3040
> >
> >Steve Holbrook wrote on 07/24/2008 06:51:16 PM:
> > >
> > > IBM confirms this submission of the newly revised charter.
> > >
> > > Steve Holbrook
> > > IBM AC Rep

Member

Group