Re: The State FAQ

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 10:28:39 -0500
To: Robert Mark Bram <relaxedrob@optusnet.com.au>
Cc: www-ws@w3.org

On Sat, Jan 08, 2005 at 02:09:22AM +1100, Robert Mark Bram wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> Well done on the FAQ!

Thanks, Robert.

> ==
> 1.1 What does it mean for something to be stateful or stateless?    (4ZT)
> In general it just means that the thing encapsulates state (or not, for
> stateless).
> ==
>
> I believe the definition should include something describing what state
> is. For example:
>
> In general it just means that the thing encapsulates state (or not, for
> stateless), where state can be thought of as a set of data or attributes
> or properties belonging to the stateful entity.
>
> It may seem obvious, but I think it is easy to confuse state as a set of
> data with a behavioral state as expected in a state transition diagram for
> example.

I originally had a "What is state" question there, but the best answer I
could come up with was "data", so I removed it.  I note that yours says
much the same thing 8-)... though perhaps carries some redundancy with
"belonging to the stateful entity").

But please, feel free to edit it yourself.  That's why I put it on a
Wiki!

Mark.