Re: The State FAQ

From: Robert Mark Bram <relaxedrob@optusnet.com.au>
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2005 02:09:22 +1100
To: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>, www-ws@w3.org

Hi Mark,

Well done on the FAQ!

==
1.1 What does it mean for something to be stateful or stateless?    (4ZT)
In general it just means that the thing encapsulates state (or not, for
stateless).
==

I believe the definition should include something describing what state
is. For example:

In general it just means that the thing encapsulates state (or not, for
stateless), where state can be thought of as a set of data or attributes
or properties belonging to the stateful entity.

It may seem obvious, but I think it is easy to confuse state as a set of
data with a behavioral state as expected in a state transition diagram for
example.

Regards

Rob
:)