Re: The State FAQ

From: Robert Mark Bram <relaxedrob@optusnet.com.au>
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2005 02:09:22 +1100
To: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>, www-ws@w3.org

Hi Mark,

Well done on the FAQ!

1.1 What does it mean for something to be stateful or stateless?    (4ZT)
In general it just means that the thing encapsulates state (or not, for

I believe the definition should include something describing what state
is. For example:

In general it just means that the thing encapsulates state (or not, for
stateless), where state can be thought of as a set of data or attributes
or properties belonging to the stateful entity.

It may seem obvious, but I think it is easy to confuse state as a set of
data with a behavioral state as expected in a state transition diagram for

> Greetings,
> Because these same questions about state come up quite often, I decided
> that a FAQ was required.  So I've kicked one off on the RESTwiki;
> http://rest.blueoxen.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?StateFaq
> Note that you need to register in order to be able to edit the pages.
> Thanks.
> Mark.

Robert Mark Bram
B.Comp.(Systems Development/Business Systems)
Doctor of Philosophy Student

School of Network Computing
Faculty of Information Technology
Monash University