Re: SOAP performance

David Orchard wrote:

>It's hard to really evaluate these things without more data.

hi,

i agree but i think it is valuable to make efforts to characterize what
factors are important for SOAP toolkit performance - we did some work on
that in [1] although we concentrated mostly on scientific computing - we
have plans for more in future especially related to scalability, memory
footprint, and optimizations (and we welcome comments about it!).

also one should consider that there can be big gains *if* you know the
structure of XML messages and optimize infrastructure for those messages
(like FIX protocol) and/or have  tools to generate very fast  "schema
specific" parsing (such as generating schema specific parsing code
executed by automata described in [2])

>What was
>the cpu load on the slow machine that was doing compression?  What is
>the relationship between cpu speeds on the compression/decompression
>machines and the round trip time?

when we were doing our evaluation of use of SOAP toolkits in scientific
computing most of interactions for high performance toolkits was
CPU-bound when done over fast network and compression would only slow
down them - in other words they were CPU bound not IO bound  (you can
reproduce it by running our tests [3]).

>FWIW, I don't think it surprising that certain CPU speeds make
>compression worse.  IMO, the more important question is what is the
>relationship between cpu and network speed?

i think that there are two ends of spectrum: very fast local network and
WAN with low bandwidth (modem) and huge bandwidth but noticeable
latencies (intercontinental links or space :)).

> And there's also the
>relationship between client versus server cpu and encryption/decryption.
>Imagine that decompression is "cheap" compared to compression, then it
>might be that a telco could upgrade is servers to do compression on
>messages to clients, and thus compression is a net benefit to the
>system.

that i think will depend on bandwidth usage - i do not think this a big
deal for broadband users but may be big win for mobile/modem users
especially if mobile users have to pay for bandwidth usage (Europe?) ...

alek

[1] Madhusudhan Govindaraju, Aleksander Slominski, Kenneth Chiu, Pu Liu,
Robert van Engelen, Michael J. Lewis, Toward Characterizing the
Performance of SOAP Toolkits
<http://www.extreme.indiana.edu/xgws/papers/soap_perf_char_grid2004.pdf>.
To appear in the proceedings of the 5th IEEE/ACM International Workshop
on Grid Computing, (short paper) November 8th, 2004, Pittsburgh, USA.
[2] Kenneth Chiu and Wei Lu. A Compiler-Based Approach to
Schema-Specific XML Parsing.
<http://wam.inrialpes.fr/www-workshop2004/ChiuLu.pdf> In First
International Workshop on High Performance XML Processing(Satellite of
WWW2004), May 2004.
[3] http://www.extreme.indiana.edu/xgws/soap_bench/