RE: SOAP performance

It's hard to really evaluate these things without more data.  What was
the cpu load on the slow machine that was doing compression?  What is
the relationship between cpu speeds on the compression/decompression
machines and the round trip time?

FWIW, I don't think it surprising that certain CPU speeds make
compression worse.  IMO, the more important question is what is the
relationship between cpu and network speed?  And there's also the
relationship between client versus server cpu and encryption/decryption.
Imagine that decompression is "cheap" compared to compression, then it
might be that a telco could upgrade is servers to do compression on
messages to clients, and thus compression is a net benefit to the
system.

Dave

Of