OldeWorldeWebServices?

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 15:09:10 -0400
To: www-ws@w3.org

Hi all

I had an idea for a Web services-ish spec a while back, finally wrote it up.

Feedback/suggestions welcomed. I scribbled it in a Wiki so feel free to
annotate it inline if you like.

The idea is to use markup to describe pre-XML Internet-accessible services,
using minimalistic and namespace-extensible markup giving port, host,
protocol, etc data., plus whatever else makes sense using other namespaces.
It may well be that WSDL or other existing WS specs can do this already,
although my understanding was that they focussed on XML (esp SOAP)
based services.

The draft sketches a way of making Z39.50, LDAP, Quake or whatever
servers findable via XML descriptions. I use RDF though that's not
intrinsic to the general approach.

Anyway, http://esw.w3.org/topic/OldeWorldeWebServices

thanks for any comments,

cheers,