Re: Converting RDF to WSDL

From: David Martin <martin@ai.sri.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 22:38:43 -0700
To: Yiqiao Wang <yiqiao@cs.ualberta.ca>
CC: www-ws@w3.org

Hi Yiqiao -

First, it should be noted that it isn't particularly useful to talk about
translating arbitrary RDF files into WSDL files.  WSDL, as you know, is all
about describing the Web-accessible interfaces of Web services.  RDF is a
fairly general Knowledge Representation language.  So I'll rephrase your
question -

Are there any tools to translate Web service descriptions, given in RDF, into
WSDL?

Offhand, I can think of something that's extremely relevant and something
that's clearly related.

First, the DAML-funded OntoMerge (ontology translation) project recently
applied their technology to generate WSDL from DAML-S service descriptions
(and, as you know, DAML-S is based on RDF).  You can find some (limited) info
on this here:

http://cs-www.cs.yale.edu/homes/dvm/daml/ontology-translation.html
http://phd1.cs.yale.edu:4040/ontoMerge.html

Second, you may find it helpful that Eric Prud'hommeaux at W3C has produced an
RDF ontology that models what's in WSDL.  There's some info here:

http://www.w3.org/2002/02/21-WSDL-RDF-mapping/

I don't know whether this is the most recent available information about this.

Regards,
David Martin