Re: WSUI article

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@akamai.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 11:44:28 -0700
To: Darryn Sneller <dgsneller@yahoo.com>
Cc: www-ws@w3.org

I haven't had a chance to have a good look at WSUI, but the
paragraph:

  How successful they'll be remains to be seen since the W3C tends to
  recommend only specifications that a working group of its member
  companies has developed from scratch under its auspices. The
  Cambridge, Mass.-based organization tends to frown upon anything so
  prematurely described as a "standard," as WSUI has been by
  Epicentric.

seems to be pure conjecture from the author; SOAP was not developed
under the auspices of the W3C, yet it is a major component of the
Consortium's vision for the future. No doubt the marketing
departments thought it would be nifty to call it WSUI a 'standard',
without understanding what that means.

I don't think that the W3C is so petty as to refuse to develop a
submision - if it has technical merit, and fits into the vision for
the Web - based solely on such statements.