Web Services and Server Push

From: Hassan Basharat <hassan@egsec.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 23:40:58 +0500
To: <www-ws@w3.org>
Hi Everyone!

I just read a Web Services Primer on xml.com and am interested in finding
out
how it can help me solve my problem.

I have a CGI application that talks to a web server. I need to be able to
update the client (an activeX control running in Internet Explorer)
whenever a certain event happens on the server. Can a
web service maintain constant connection with the client over sockets?
can it be used to invoke the right business components on the server

Im interested in it coz of the inherent limitation of CGI where
the request HAS to be initiated by the client. Thats the reason
i decided to try an ActiveX on the client side which communicates
with the server over socket. I was about to start implmenting my
own protocol for proper message delivery, formatting (XML) and error
checking etc.
but i guess its like re-inventing the wheel isn't it?

Any help to point me in the right direction will be appreciated.

Cheers

Hassan Basharat