From: www-ws-desc-request@w3.org [mailto:www-ws-desc-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of Ramkumar Menon
Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2006 6:49 PM
To: Arthur Ryman
Cc: www-ws-desc@w3.org; www-ws-desc-request@w3.org
Subject: Re: WSDL Import with just a location attribute

Hi Arthur,

Thanks a lot for your response.

Actually, I am in absolute congruence with you on the current semantics
of import.

My question [might be extremely silly, but I am just trying to convince
myself :-( ] is on the lines of

What is the rationale behind choosing to use <import> as a declaration
thats used only for importing namespaces ? Why cant it be on documents
as well ? Doesnt import of a document correspond indirectly to the
import of the tasrget namespace of the document - or rather why cant we
assume that intent ?

b) Is it true that in majority of the use-cases,

  i) It makes the job easier for the processing application to define
its own way of discovering the actual documents imported into the main
document corresponding to the namespaces defined in the import ? or
rather, is it the case that in majority of the use-cases, the processing
application does not use the location attribute of the <import> ?

 ii) Are the imported documents usually not known at design time ? If
they can be discovered at designtime, wdnt it be an easier task to
specify the location within the wsdl directly ?

rgds,

Ram