RE: Deconstructing MEPs

CIL

Buzzword adverse reactions aside, yes, that's the problem.

> No, you can't model in-out with a pair of message exchanges, because
there
> is no "out-only" with "fault replaces message", and the concept is
> slightly bizarre (or perhaps I mean to say "reeks of the lamp").  One
> would *only* invent such an exchange in order to perform the
decomposition
> contemplated.

Decomposition seems to me a primary usage for the outbound MEPs, so I
don't find it too much more bizarre than these MEPs in the first place.

> The in-out MEP is justified *because* it's a natural idiom in certain
> types of protocols (client/server request/response connection-oriented
> protocols).  If you are trying to "map" the exchange pattern onto
other
> protocols, which have some or all of those characteristics different
> (pub/sub, for instance, or messaging systems, or datagram styles),
then it
> *won't* *work* *properly*.  You'll have to do something to sort of
> pretend, if you squint just right and stand in the right place and
have
> your hands *just so*, that it's the same.  It ain't.
>
> So long as fault propagation rulesets are considered integral to the
MEP,
> this issue will exist.  MEPs are not designed to "decompose".  An
> alternative solution might have been to define direction, node
identity
> (although we made an utter @#$%^& of that, anyway), sequence, and
> cardinality alone, and to identify  fault propagation rulesets
separately,
> then let them be specified in the interface or in the binding.

I was just suggesting defining a new MEP (or more than one), such as
out-or-fault-only, which would be in-only with the ruleset "fault
replaces message".  Not an overhaul of the framework.

> Jonathan, you suggest that we "recommend" the practice of
decomposition.
> Could you point to where we do so?  I'd like to suggest that we remove
> such a recommendation, if we have one.  I don't believe that it's at
all a
> good idea.

Well, perhaps _I_ have instead of _we_ (the specs) have.  But I still
think this is a common way to model things.  Doesn't BPEL encourage this
kind of scenario?  Only under the current specs, the faults must be
modeled as application-level messages when you decompose, which may be
sub-optimal in some circumstances.