W3C

WS Descrtiption telcon
16 Feb 2006

Agenda

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
Charlton Baretto, Adobe Systems
Roberto Chinnici, Sun Microsystems
Paul Downey, British Telecommunications
Youenn Fablet, Canon
Hugo Haas, W3C
Tom Jordahl, Macromedia
Anish Karmarkar, Oracle
Jacek Kopecky, DERI Innsbruck at the Leopold-Franzens-Universitšt Innsbruck, Austria
Jonathan Marsh, Co-chair/Microsoft
Jean-Jacques Moreau, Canon
Vivek Pandey, Sun Microsystems
Gilbert Pilz, BEA Systems
Tony Rogers, Co-chair/Computer Associates
Arthur Ryman, IBM
Asir Vedamuthu, Microsoft
Regrets
Glen Daniels, Sonic Software
Amelia Lewis, TIBCO
Chair
Marsh
Scribe
Tom

Contents


Approval of minutes

minutes approved

for Jan 26, 2006

review of action items

Glen, Bijan, Kendal not in attendance.

3.  Review of Action items [.1]. 

PENDING   2005-07-21: Pauld to write a proposal for a working group 
                      report for requirements for schema evolution 
                      following closure of LC124 
PENDING   2005-10-20: Kendall to contact DAWG to ask for contribution to
                      test suite, due 2005-10-27. 
DONE [.3] 2005-11-10: Marsh to take the IRI issue to the CG, due
                      2005-11-16. 
SUPERCEDED 2005-01-05: Jacek to detail (e.g. in a list) what constraints
                      of the component model are not enforced by the WSDL
                      ontology. 
PENDING   2005-01-05: Glen to write an outline for a test service and
                      send it to the list.
DONE      2006-01-26: Arthur to make a proposal for CR005. 
DONE [.4] 2006-01-26: Roberto to look into CR007 Assertion required for
                      property . 
PENDING   2006-02-02: Bijan to run the partitioning analysis on ontology
PENDING   2006-02-02: Jonathan to close issue 285 in the issues list.

Current Editorial Action Items
PENDING   2006-01-26: JacekK to add an example to the RDF Mapping.
PENDING   2006-01-26: Asir to make a proposal (fix!) CR008 - SOAP 1.1
                      Binding: example.
PENDING   2006-02-02: Jacek to implement resolution for issue 283.

Note: Editorial AIs associated with LC issues recorded at [.2]. 

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/#actions
[.2] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/5/cr-issues/actions_owner.html
[.3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-cg/2006Jan/0001.html
[.4] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2006Feb/0016.html

Administrivia

Face 2 face coming up Feb 27-28 in Cannes - Please register if you haven't

Draft adgenda will be available and fleshed out soon

WS-Addressing WSDL Binding LC review - Uses WSDL, please review before F2F

looking for volunteers....

Arthur and Tom volunteer

<Jonathan> ACTION: Arthur and Tom to do an initial review of the WS-Addressing WSDL Binding [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/02/16-ws-desc-minutes.html#action01]

Assertion review status: Jonathan to convert review assignments to action items

See assignments here: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2006Jan/0067.html

<Jonathan> More current assignments: http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/ws/desc/test-suite/assert-yourself.html

<Jonathan> ACTION: Arthur to complete assertion assigment [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/02/16-ws-desc-minutes.html#action02]

<Arthur> http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/ws/desc/test-suite/assert-yourself.html#review-assignments

<Jonathan> ACTION: Roberto to complete assertion assigment [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/02/16-ws-desc-minutes.html#action03]

<Jonathan> ACTION: Glen to complete assertion assigment [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/02/16-ws-desc-minutes.html#action04]

<hugo> It seems that I forgot to assert myself

<Jonathan> ACTION: Jonathan to complete assertion assigment [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/02/16-ws-desc-minutes.html#action05]

<Jonathan> ACTION: JJM to complete assertion assigment [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/02/16-ws-desc-minutes.html#action06]

<Jonathan> ACTION: Amy to complete assertion assigment [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/02/16-ws-desc-minutes.html#action07]

<Jonathan> ACTION: Umit to complete assertion assigment [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/02/16-ws-desc-minutes.html#action08]

<Jonathan> ACTION: Charlton to complete assertion assigment [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/02/16-ws-desc-minutes.html#action09]

Arthur: Reviewers, when you add a new assertion, use the number range assigned to you

discussion on how reviewers should assign numbers..

<scribe> Chair: Thanks Arthur for organizing the assertion review

SPARQL review request

<charlton> I should have my review completed before next week's conf call time

Hugo found a problem in his review: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2006Feb/0021.html

<Jonathan> SPARQL review http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2006Feb/0021.html

<Arthur> summary of assertion ids - the text prefix is freeform and descriptive, the numeric suffix is unique globally

Hugo: [describes the problem detailed in his mail]

<Arthur> e.g. Jonathan would use Binding-1209001 for a Binding assertion in Part 1, Section 2.9

Hugo: claimed to use the IRI/URI style, but they break the rules
... they allow a maxoccurs="unbounded" and we restrict the IRI style to maxOccurs="1" to prevent confusion

<hugo> here are the culprits for SPARQL:

<hugo> <xs:element minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded" name="default-graph-uri" type="xs:anyURI"/>

<hugo> <xs:element minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded" name="named-graph-uri" type="xs:anyURI"/>

Arthur: Where is the WSDL in the SPARQL spec?

<hugo> http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-rdf-sparql-protocol-20060125/

Hugo: should be in the spec throughout i.e. section 2.1

Jonathan: They want to describe something that we don't allow. - Should we fix this?
... who's problem is it? Ours or theirs?

Jacek, Arthur: ours

TomJ: Theirs

Hugo: [muses on a solution while explaining the problem further]

Jonathan: Can we just remove the restriction to maxOccurs?
... If we decide this is our problem, we can file a CR and fix it. Do we want to do this?

<scribe> ACTION: Jonathan to raise the CR issue on behalf of SPARQL [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/02/16-ws-desc-minutes.html#action10]

<scribe> ACTION: Jonathan to keep the SPARQL group informed about this issue [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/02/16-ws-desc-minutes.html#action11]

Hugo: Second issue - why do we restrict the top level element QName to be the same as the operation name?
... A simple change of the element name in SPARQL would fix their problem with respect to WSDL 2.0 as it stands

Jonathan: Hugo should provide the group with the easy rename fix so we don't have to change anything

<Jonathan> ACTION: Forward Hugo's two remaining comments to SPARQL [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/02/16-ws-desc-minutes.html#action12]

Jonathan: Anyone else want to review SPARQL before we declare WSDL's sanity check complete?

Arthur: Schedule question - are they going to implement WSDL 2.0?

Jonathan: doesn't seem like it.
... Can we declare our sanity check complete?

maybe

<Jonathan> ACTION 12= Jonathan to forward Hugo''s two remaining comments to SPARQL, ask them for their WSDL and sample messages for our test suite.

XML 1.0 simple type dependancy draft note

http://www.w3.org/2005/08/17-xml-simp-types.html

Hugo: We remove XML 1.1 support in early 2005. Disappointed because he and others thought that what WSDL had done was cool and worked.
... wanted to capture this work
... Request to publish this as a working group note

Roberto: looks like some of the parts are new

Hugo: Yes, because the spec was wrong/changed

Roberto: Motivation for this work?

Hugo: Didn't want it to be lost.

Arthur: notices some mistakes in the document concerning int/integer

Hugo: Yes, Roberto pointed this out too

Arthur: Doesn't get the usefullness of the doc

Jonathan: the approach wasn't practical, uncomfortable publishing it
... Can't we publish this some other way not via the working group?

Hugo: Yes, I have considered this. But the core of this comes from the WG

Jonathan: Shuold we publish this as WG note?

Arthur: not comfortable with document as is

Jonathan: it defines a namespace in the w3c domain, which we can't publish

Hugo: No objection to me taking this somewhere else it sounds like

Arthur: how about XML Schema WG?

discussion on how/where Hugo might want to publish the note

TP Draft Agenda

Jonathan: cancel telcon next both RDF TF and regular WG
... Jan 23, 2006 conference call cancelled
... Heartbeat publication due - we should republish the CR document

Review of F2F agenda items

Jonathan: Anything else for agenda?

no

Arthur: Demo of Woden!

Blessing RDF TF meeting resolutions

Jonathan: Since these are working group issues, wanted to run by the group

TF meeting minutes: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2006Feb/att-0007/20060202-rdf-tf-minutes.html

sumamry of issues closed - 3 of them

Jonathan: Does anyone object to closing the issues per the TF?

none

Issue CR0005

Arthur explains the issue and the a solution

Issue: http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/5/cr-issues/issues.html#CR005

Arthurs mail: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2006Feb/0035.html

general support for "R2", build in all the basic Schema types

Jonathan: Any objections? No

RESOLUTION: Close CR005 - by building in the XML Schema basic types ("R2" in Arthur proposal)

Arthur: should I use MUST?

answer - Yes

Adjourned

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Amy to complete assertion assigment [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/02/16-ws-desc-minutes.html#action07]
[NEW] ACTION: Arthur and Tom to do an initial review of the WS-Addressing WSDL Binding [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/02/16-ws-desc-minutes.html#action01]
[NEW] ACTION: Arthur to complete assertion assigment [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/02/16-ws-desc-minutes.html#action02]
[NEW] ACTION: Charlton to complete assertion assigment [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/02/16-ws-desc-minutes.html#action09]
[NEW] ACTION: Jonathan to forward Hugo''s two remaining comments to SPARQL, ask them for their WSDL and sample messages for our test suite. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/02/16-ws-desc-minutes.html#action12]
[NEW] ACTION: Glen to complete assertion assigment [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/02/16-ws-desc-minutes.html#action04]
[NEW] ACTION: JJM to complete assertion assigment [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/02/16-ws-desc-minutes.html#action06]
[NEW] ACTION: Jonathan to complete assertion assigment [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/02/16-ws-desc-minutes.html#action05]
[NEW] ACTION: Jonathan to keep the SPARQL group informed about this issue [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/02/16-ws-desc-minutes.html#action11]
[NEW] ACTION: Jonathan to raise the CR issue on behalf of SPARQL [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/02/16-ws-desc-minutes.html#action10]
[NEW] ACTION: Roberto to complete assertion assigment [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/02/16-ws-desc-minutes.html#action03]
[NEW] ACTION: Umit to complete assertion assigment [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/02/16-ws-desc-minutes.html#action08]
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.127 (CVS log)
$Date: 2006/02/16 17:24:48 $