anyURI simplification

From: David Orchard <dorchard@bea.com>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 12:23:29 -0700
To: "WS-Description WG" <www-ws-desc@w3.org>
Hi all,

I'm not sure if this has been raised as an issue or not, or how we
decided to proceed.  I find two of the anyURI attribute constructs to be
overly complex, the binding:type attribute and the operation:pattern.
Currently, the spec requires URIs rather than Qnames.  In the case of
mandatory attributes, this hinders human readability - a comment that
TimBL made when WS-Security switched from QNames to URIs for some
constructs.  The Atom working group has had a similar construct for
linking with the rel attribute.

Roy made an elegent suggestion to retain anyURI but make the string more
usable.  The anyURI can be a relative URI, and the base is defined by
the specification.  In our case, this would be some WSDL URI.  If the
attribute contains just a name, it's added to the default (note not the
base uri) to form the URI.  IF the attribute is an absolute URI
(determinable from the presence of ":") then the default URI is not
used.  This means that we could have <binding type="http"> or <binding
type="soap"> or <binding type="http://example.com/myfavbinding">.

The same could also be used for the operation:pattern attribute.

Another alternative would be to move the binding and operation to be
more strongly typed using substitution groups as proposed many moons ago
(which I still prefer).

Could somebody tell me what's happened with these attrs and if this has
been discussed?