Re: Is schemaLocation Required When Importing Inline Schemas?

Anish,

It seems to me that the way we have defined WSDL, the inlined schema take
precedence over the "well-known" schemas. I say this because the inlined
schemas are not made visible to WSDL components via an <xs:import>. It is
the <xs:import> that introduces the problem because schemaLocation is only
a hint. If there is no <xs:import> there is no schemaLocation and
therefore no hint. The component model associated with the WSDL document
contains the Element Declaration or Type Definition Components that are
contained in the inline schema.

So in your example, we have the complexType bar that gets added to the
Component Model by virtue of it being defined in an inline schema. When
the second document refers to bar and uses the <xs:import>, then isn't it
reasonable to say that there is no need to consult the "well-known"
definition? i.e. any inline schema is better known than any other external
schema.

I think its fair to say that the WSDL document establishes a context for
the resolution of <xs:import>'s. I think we need to describe this
precisely since WSDL documents are meant to be interchanged and their
interpretation needs to be consistent by all consumers, otherwise there
will be no interoperability.

Arthur Ryman,
Rational Desktop Tools Development

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411
fax: +1-905-413-4920, TL 969-4920
mobile: +1-416-939-5063, text: 4169395063@fido.ca
intranet: http://labweb.torolab.ibm.com/DRY6/

Anish Karmarkar <Anish.Karmarkar@oracle.com>
Sent by: www-ws-desc-request@w3.org
03/30/2005 01:17 PM

Arthur Ryman/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
cc
paul.downey@bt.com, www-ws-desc@w3.org
Subject
Re: Is schemaLocation Required When Importing Inline Schemas?

I wasn't in the WG when the original discussion occurred, but I had a
concern wrt the MUST in the statement (perhaps an edge case,
nevertheless something that the WG should consider):
What happens if there is an inline definition/decl of a particular
well-known QName reference to element/type in a WSDL that is
imported/included and the definition/decl does not match the well-known
one?

For example, wsdl1 imports wsdl2 and wsdl2 contains a definition of a
complexType {http://example.com/type}bar that is well know and cached by
the processor processing wsdl1. wsdl1 does not use/reference any
constructs defined in wsdl2 that use {http://example.com/type}bar, but
wsdl1 does directly reference {http://example.com/type}bar complexType
(and does the relevant import of the namespace).
In the above case, the processor processing wsdl1 should be allowed to
ignore the inline definition of the complexType
{http://example.com/type}bar in wsdl2.

A minor amendment to the proposal that I would like to suggest is that
the MUST be converted to a SHOULD with appropriate explanation OR keep
the MUST and modify the wordings so that cases such as the one above are
excluded.

-Anish