RE: Why do we have a component model?

Arthur,

My understanding is that Z notation was introduced after the last call
not as a result of some last call requirement, but to simplify for the
test suite and illustrate the inconsistencies based on formal
verification. From this perspective, I personally do not regard it as a
must have for the spec, but a nice to have. This has been my consistent
view about the Z notation. Sorry :-(

The current discussion about the component model appears to be about
whether the component model is necessary and whether makes it
easier/harder to understand the semantics of the spec. On top of this
discussion, which is separate than Z notation, we have Z notation
sprinkled in the specification. A reader is somewhat overwhelmed by the
introduction of the mathematical formulae just looking at the spec. I
noticed that it was even hard for the wg to search for sections during
the f2f meeting skipping over sections that contained Z notation.

I am not sure how many people in the wg are even using the Z notation
themselves (I don't), but we would expecting developers to follow to
spec and not be discouraged to understand it. I personally do not want
to read yet another xml.com articles perhaps titled "WSDL 2.0 spec gave
me the ZZzz".  ;-) I am wondering whether we could actually utilize the
Z notation in an adjunct document, but not in the specification itself.
Just a thought.

After all WS-I used plain English...

--umit

  _____