Web Services Description WG

24 Feb 2005

See also: IRC log


Rebecca Bergersen, IONA Technologies
David Booth, W3C
Allen Brookes, Rogue Wave Software
Roberto Chinnici, Sun Microsystems
Glen Daniels, Sonic Software
Youenn Fablet, Canon
Hugo Haas, W3C
Anish Karmarkar, Oracle
Jacek Kopecky, Leopold Franzens Universitat Innsbruck
Amelia Lewis, TIBCO
Kevin Canyang Liu, SAP
Jonathan Marsh, Chair/Microsoft
Jeff Mischkinsky, Oracle
Dale Moberg, Cyclone Commerce
Jean-Jacques Moreau, Canon
David Orchard, BEA Systems
Bijan Parsia, University of Maryland MIND Lab
Tony Rogers, Computer Associates
Arthur Ryman, IBM
Adi Sakala, IONA Technologies
Asir Vedamuthu, webMethods
Sanjiva Weerawarana, IBM
Umit Yalcinalp, SAP
Paul Downey, British Telecommunications
sanjiva, Kevin





<dbooth> Scribe: sanjiva

<dbooth> ScribeNick: scribe

Minutes approved with no corrections

AI Review

<sanjiva> ScribeNick: sanjiva

F&P composition done

media type document: updated version coming soon


<dbooth> dbooth: Get me your sections ASAP!

Media Type Description issues

<Marsh> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-media-types/2005Feb/0000.html

I18n issues related to media type stuff

discussion whether adding negotiation stuff into media type description is a good idea .. the basic requirement is description, not negotiation

<Marsh> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2005Feb/0066.html

"normalized value" means XML normalization not things like case equality .. so the spec needs to make that clear

considered editorial .. Umit will follow up

<Arthur> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2005Feb/0068.html

component model discussion .. talking about arthur's proposal to move properties have [in scope] kind of notion

<asir> +1 to the first part of Arthur's proposal

no objections to adopting arthur's proposal to consistify f&p for interfaces

<Marsh> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2005Jan/0060.html

<Marsh> RESOUTION: Adopt Arthur's proposal 2005Feb/0068

z notation starts with component model; so very direct mapping of say interface components to the z interface schema. Additional constraints become z variables, e.g., in scope properties and in scope features. Arthur is writing logical formulae for computing these. Question is whether to make these directly in the component model and thereby remove Arthur's fun of wriitng these formulae.

Advantage is that this makes it analogous to how the Infoset namespace stuff works.

Asir: not convinced [in scope] will really help

[lots of explanation of family hierarchies and how things are computed; sure sounded complicated]

<uyalcina> +1 to asir

<kliu> +1 to asir

glen: points out that it may be easier to have a method that computes

roberto: agrees with asir.

umit: agrees with roberto

<Roberto> +1 for fixing the interface component

<uyalcina> +1

<asir> +1 for fixing the interface component

daveO: wonders whether people want to keep the component model closer to the input syntax and have other stuff be addon functions on the component model

objection to dropping proposal to add inscope f&p? nope

proposal from arthur: un-flatten operations and faults in interfaces so that the component model only shows the ops that are immediately declared in the current interface and others have to be found by looking at the super interfaces

no objections to adopting arthur's proposal

<bijan> Where are the results?

<Marsh> http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/34041/WSD_AppendixE/results

<bijan> Thanks!

<bijan> The Bijan Option Rules!

<asir> thanks Bijan

<bijan> You are quite welcome :)

<Marsh> ACTION: Marsh to appoint an editor to publish Appendix E as a WG Note. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/02/24-ws-desc-minutes#action01]

<dbooth> Prevailing option: "Publish the material in Appendix E as a WG Note."

LC70 resolution: appendix E to become a note

<asir> http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/4/lc-issues/issues.html#LC70

I have to drop off .. can someone else take over please?

<inserted> Scribe: Kevin

<inserted> ScribeNick: kliu

see you sanjiva, I will pick up from here

<sanjiva> thanks Kevin .. bye

discussion on whether we should say something about parallel schema definitions

amy: why not

arthur: does that mean we allow two different schemas define a same Qname?

amy: if there are mulitple type definition in use, presumably you should have some semantics attached to help decide which one should be used
... we don't define that, not saying we can't

DaveO: does schema has the same problem that defintions of same thing in different place?

asir: don't know

jmarsh: we have explored that with wsdl1.1 and 20

arthur: each type system has its own element declaration component

jacek: it might be slight inconsistency

<asir> James Clark has a mechanism to mix schema languages - see http://www.thaiopensource.com/relaxng/nrl.html

what happens if one use element, another use owl attribute

we may say something in the spec that if there are mulitple pointers in the message to different schema declarations there might be problems

asir: we can make it simple by ruling out multiple schema languages

jmarsh: is that a desirable way to go?

asir: there should be only one schema pointer in use

jmarsh: there are a few options, postpone to f2f

<Zakim> dbooth, you wanted to propose we include a note in the spec saying that if someone combines multiple schema languages may be a problem, and we have not solved this problem.

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Marsh to appoint an editor to publish Appendix E as a WG Note. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/02/24-ws-desc-minutes#action01]
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.115 (CVS log)
$Date: 2005/02/24 18:28:34 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.115  of Date: 2005/02/15 22:31:37  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/to/two/
Succeeded: s/amy:/amy,/
Succeeded: s/arthur:/arthur,/
Succeeded: s/out/out multiple/
Succeeded: s/<kliu> amy,/<kliu> amy:/g
Succeeded: s/<kliu> arthur,/<kliu> arthur:/g
Succeeded: s/<kliu> do,/<kliu> DaveO:/g
Succeeded: s/<kliu> asir,/<kliu> asir:/g
Succeeded: s/<kliu> jmarsh,/<kliu> jmarsh:/g
Succeeded: s/Marsh to appoint an editor to that/Marsh to appoint an editor to publish Appendix E as a WG Note/
Succeeded: s/<kliu> jack,/<kliu> jacek:/g
Succeeded: i/Scribe: sanjiva/Topic: Administrivia
Succeeded: i/see you sanjiva/Scribe: Kevin
Succeeded: i/see you sanjiva/ScribeNick: kliu
Found Scribe: sanjiva
Found ScribeNick: scribe
Found ScribeNick: sanjiva
Found Scribe: Kevin
Found ScribeNick: kliu
Scribes: sanjiva, Kevin
ScribeNicks: scribe, sanjiva, kliu
Default Present: Rebecca_Bergersen, +1.301.768.aaaa, Dbooth, sanjiva, Adi_Sakala, GlenD, Jonathan_Marsh, Arthur, Allen, Hugo, Jacek, Asir, KevinL, Anish, Roberto, Tony_Rogers, Umit, Canon, +1.480.239.aabb, Jean-Jacques, Amelia_Lewis, Dale, bijan, DOrchard, J.Mischkinsky
Present: Rebecca_Bergersen +1.301.768.aaaa Dbooth sanjiva Adi_Sakala GlenD Jonathan_Marsh Arthur Allen Hugo Jacek Asir KevinL Anish Roberto Tony_Rogers Umit Canon +1.480.239.aabb Jean-Jacques Amelia_Lewis Dale bijan DOrchard J.Mischkinsky
Got date from IRC log name: 24 Feb 2005
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2005/02/24-ws-desc-minutes
People with action items: marsh

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]