schemaLocation background

From: Jonathan Marsh <jmarsh@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 16:46:24 -0800
To: "Arthur Ryman" <ryman@ca.ibm.com>
Cc: <www-ws-desc@w3.org>

As I recall it, there have been several items relating to embedded and
imported schemas and the use of schemaLocation.

I have an action to help dig up the schemaLocation scenarios.

1) Can you inline two schemas instead of one.  Answer: yes, even if they
have the same targetNamespace (but no duplicate definitions.) [1, 2]

2) Can you import one embedded schema into the other.  Answer: yes, this
should be expected to work.  A schemaLocation attribute with a fragment
ID can be added to make this explicit. [3, 4]

3) Can you see schema components in an imported WSDL.  Answer: no, this
is by design. [5]

4) I thought we also agreed that you can import a schema embedded in
another WSDL, and a schemaLocation attribute with a fragment ID would
likely be required by most processors in this case. (A schemaLocation
pointing to the WSDL file would not conform to the defn of
schemaLocation.)  I can't find documentation on this point though.

Hope this is what you were looking for...

[1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/4/lc-issues/issues.html#lc60
[2]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2005Jan/att-0092/2005012
7-ws-desc-minutes.html#item07