RDF mapping issue: reusing Part-Whole ontology?

From: Jacek Kopecky <jacek.kopecky@deri.org>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 16:48:44 +0100
To: WS-Description WG <www-ws-desc@w3.org>

Hi all,

this is the first RDF mapping issue that I think deserves the WG
attention: Should the RDF mapping use (and/or extend) the simple
part-whole relations vocabulary [1] in development by the Semantic Web
Best Practices and Deployment Working Group?

I see the following options here:

     1. not to use the is_part_of properties, i.e. not indicate the
        part-whole relationship (status quo)
     2. use both our own properties and the is_part_of properties
        (perfectly legal, perhaps somewhat suboptimal, maybe)
     3. use the is_part_of* properties between parent components and the
        components they own and not our properties,
     4. use our own properties that also indicate the is_part_of
        relationship (our properties would be subproperties of
        is_part_of)

(*) technically, it would be is_part_of_directly property from the
document [1]

I think we need to investigate the status of the part-whole ontology in
SWBPD WG first; I can take an action at the first possible opportunity
so that I'm pushed to do this.

Best regards,

Jacek

[1] http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~rector/swbp/simple-part-whole/simple-part-whole-relations-v0-2.html