W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-ws-desc@w3.org > April 2005

LC107 and Inconsistent Component Names

From: Arthur Ryman <ryman@ca.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 08:37:50 -0400
To: www-ws-desc@w3.org
Message-ID: <OF7956D6B0.FE07F587-ON85256FE7.000498A3-85256FE7.0045601B@ca.ibm.com>
I just complete the editorial work for LC107, which I believe does make 
the component model property names a lot easier to understand.

In the process of doing this, I noticed that our component names are a 
little inconsistent. We have 2 groups of 5 components, with parallel 
structures:

Interface
InterfaceFault
InterfaceOperation
MessageReference
FaultReference

Binding
BindingFault
BindingOperation
BindingMessageReference
BindingFaultReference

The odd men out are InterfaceFault and InterfaceOperation. It seems like 
the interface prefix is unnecessary. There are 2 ways to handle this:

Option 1: Drop Interface from InterfaceFault and InterfaceOperation

Interface
Fault
Operation
MessageReference
FaultReference

Option 2: Add Interface to MessageReference and FaultReference

Interface
InterfaceFault
InterfaceOperation
InterfaceMessageReference
InterfaceFaultReference


Option 1 has the benefit of brevity. I prefer this.

Option 2 has the benefit of complete consistency with the Binding 
components. The 2 sets are now related by s/Interface/Binding/


Arthur Ryman,
Rational Desktop Tools Development

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411
fax: +1-905-413-4920, TL 969-4920
mobile: +1-416-939-5063, text: 4169395063@fido.ca
intranet: http://labweb.torolab.ibm.com/DRY6/
Received on Monday, 18 April 2005 12:37:54 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Monday, 7 December 2009 10:58:35 GMT