Re: Proposed resolution to LC 77a

From: Hugo Haas <hugo@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 17:15:52 +0200
To: David Orchard <dorchard@bea.com>
Cc: www-ws-desc@w3.org
* David Orchard <dorchard@bea.com> [2005-04-07 07:29-0700]
> The point of namespaces is to disambiguate names.  That is, you can have 2 identical local names with different namespace names.  The purpose of serializing the prefix is to preserve that disambiguation.

But nothing prevents me from doing something like a first message:

  <foo xmlns:a="http://example.com/1"
       xmlns:b="http://example.com/2">
    <a:c>1</a:c>
    <b:c>2</b:c>
  </foo>

serialized as a:c=1&b:c=2

and then a second:

  <foo xmlns:b="http://example.com/1"
       xmlns:a="http://example.com/2">
    <b:c>1</b:c>
    <a:c>2</a:c>
  </foo>

serialized as b:c=1&a:c=2

IOW, the prefixes only make sense to the person who has the complete
instance data in his hand.

I have the feeling I'm still missing the use case.

--
Hugo Haas - W3C