W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-ws-desc@w3.org > September 2004

Minutes, Web Services Description Working Group 23 September 2004 telcon

From: Allen Brookes <abrookes@roguewave.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 12:26:54 -0700
Message-ID: <D486606E7AD20947BDB7E56862E04C39CE0521@cvo1.cvo.roguewave.com>
To: "'www-ws-desc@w3.org'" <www-ws-desc@w3.org>

Minutes, Web Services Description Working Group 23 September 2004 telcon
 

Attendance:

 David Booth            W3C

 Allen Brookes          Rogue Wave Software

 Roberto Chinnici       Sun Microsystems

 Glen Daniels           Sonic Software

 Youenn Fablet          Canon

 Hugo Haas              W3C

 Anish Karmarkar        Oracle

 Jacek Kopecky          DERI

 Amelia Lewis           TIBCO

 Jonathan Marsh         Chair (Microsoft)

 Jeff Mischkinsky       Oracle

 Dale Moberg            Cyclone Commerce

 Jean-Jacques Moreau    Canon

 David Orchard          BEA Systems

 Bijan Parsia           University of Maryland MIND Lab

 Arthur Ryman           IBM

 Prasad Yendluri        webMethods, Inc.

 

Regrets:

 Erik Ackerman          Lexmark

 Paul Downey            British Telecommunications

 Tom Jordahl            Macromedia

 Kevin Canyang Liu      SAP

 Asir Vedamuthu         webMethods

 

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Agenda

1.  Assign scribe.  Lucky minute taker for this week is one of:
      Jerry Thrasher, Amy Lewis, Youenn Fablet, Prasad Yendluri,
      William Vambenepe, Erik Ackerman, Jean-Jacques Moreau,
      Hugo Haas, Allen Brookes, Glen Daniels, Igor Sedukhin 

 

Scribe: Allen 

--------------------------------------------------------------------
2.  Approval of minutes:


 [Allen] Minutes accepted for last telcon 
 [Allen] Minutes for f2f accepted 

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

3.  Review of Action items [.1].

 

PENDING   2004-04-01: Marsh will get schema tf going.

DONE [.2] 2004-08-03: Glen to send a message about the mediaType 

                      annotation (attribute/appInfo) to 

                      soapbuilders.

PENDING   2004-08-04: Jonathan to check the policy with AB 

                      and team and perhaps set 

                      up a ML for testing.

DONE [.3] 2004-09-02: David Booth will check on w3c namespace 

                      policy for a stable URL without cvs 

                      string.

DONE      2004-09-09: Marsh to check with MarkN on Issue 198 

                      resolution.

DONE [.4] 2004-09-09: DBooth to suggest resolution to LC5g that 

                      removes the word "class" from 8.3.

PENDING   2004-09-09: Roberto to classify our errors as fatal or 

                      non fatal. (LC5f)

ED?       2004-09-14: Editors to implement resolution to LC5d at 

 

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Sep/0008.html
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Sep/0008.html> 

ED?       2004-09-14: Editors to implement resolution for LC5g as 

                      proposed.

ED?       2004-09-14: Editors to implement resolution to LC5i. 

ED?       2004-09-14: Editors to implement resolution to LC5k. 

PENDING   2004-09-14: Arthur to submit proposal on conformance 

                      requirements for XML serialization (of 

                      WSDL and schema documents)

ED?       2004-09-14: Editors to implement resolution to LC5l.

ED?       2004-09-14: Editors to implement resolution to LC6a.

PENDING   2004-09-14: JMarsh to take issue LC6d to XML Core WG 

ED?       2004-09-14: Editors to make explicit that we're defining 

                      new XPointer fragment schemes. (LC6d)

ED?       2004-09-14: Editors to implement LC7, LC10, LC12, LC15 

                      unless they find problems that require 

                      additional group attention.

ED?       2004-09-15: Editors update spec to clarify our using of 

                      anyURI is actually URI reference except 

                      targetNS (LC8)

DONE [.5] 2004-09-15: Glen to respond to Tim saying yes to his first 

                      question, and pointing out sections 6. (LC9)

ED?       2004-09-15: Editors to clarify spec about operation 

                      name mapping requirements by moving 

                      paragraph preceeding section 2.2.1.1 

                      and whole 2.2.1.1 to service section, 

                      and clear up the text. (LC9)

PENDING   2004-09-15: Arthur to (re)write a subsection of the 

                      spec to show exactly how it looks with 

                      the Zed notation included before next 

                      telecon.

PENDING   2004-09-15: Hugo to investigate potential options for 

                      get the Zed version published in W3C 

                      web site.

ED?       2004-09-15: Editors to add rationale to spec to explain 

                      why no default for binding fault is 

                      defined (no good default codes) (LC29a)

DONE      2004-09-15: Media type editors to change the syntax 

                      to follow the http spec, drop the 

                      pattern facet from the schema, and say 

                      that the format of the string which 

                      follows the appropriate production in 

                      the HTTP RFC (except for not supporting 

                      extensions).

PENDING   2004-09-15: Tom and Anish to figure out the right 

                      words for a more meaningful overview/

                      introduction to the problem we're 

                      trying to solve.

DONE      2004-09-15: Media Type editor to remove last sentence 

                      of 2nd bullet, combine with previous 

                      occurrence (remove redundancy).

DONE      2004-09-15: Media Type editor to make requirements an 

                      OLIST.

DONE      2004-09-15: Media Type editor to clarify binary EII 

                      term, a la "a binary EII is an EII 

                      defined as follows"

DONE      2004-09-15: Media Type editor to have at least one 

                      example which uses the Full syntax 

                      instead of the convenience types.

DONE      2004-09-15: Media Type editor to remove colon from 2nd 

                      para of 3.1.

ED?       2004-09-15: Editors to implement a fix for LC29c similar 

                      to the fix for LC29a.

ED?       2004-09-15: Editors to add as 1st bullet of 3.8.1.1 that 

                      it is an error for instance documents to have 

                      elements with xsi:nil=true. (LC29e)

ED?       2004-09-15: Editors to change first bullet of section 

                      3.8.1.1. to say "Uncited non-nil elements 

                      with a possibly empty single value are 

                      serialized ..." (LC29e)

PENDING   2004-09-15: Jonathan to ask XForms folks to review 

                      WSDL.

DONE [.6] 2004-09-15: Jonathan to split 29g to two issues: first one 

                      to be tagged editorial, 2nd (29h) to 

                      be closed as no need to do it.

ED?       2004-09-15: Editors to implement editorial issues 29g, 32, 

                      34a, 35, 36, 39 and 40 or come back to 

                      the WG with questions.

ED?       2004-09-16: Editors to move App C to RDF Mapping spec, 

                      except the frag-id which will move 

                      within media-type reg appendix.

ED?       2004-09-16: Editors to fix paragraph 6-9 of section 

                      2.1.1 moved into 2.1.2

                      which talks about the syntax.

DONE [.7] 2004-09-16: Arthur to write up his proposal to rename 

                      'defintions' to 'description'.

DONE      2004-09-16: Glen to contact Bob Cunnings regarding 

                      planning for CR bake-offs.

ED?       2004-09-16: Editors to add links to component designators 

                      to sections where we note QName is 

                      insufficient. (LC34a)

PENDING   2004-09-16: Arthur will scrub the proposed syntax and 

                      create Features and properties syntax. 

                      (LC34b)

ED?       2004-09-16: Editors to implement the restriction that 

                      feature and property URIs must be unique 

                      in a scope. (LC34b)

ED?       2004-09-16: Arthur to revamp table C-1 with component 

                      names (LC34c)

ED?       2004-09-16: App C editors to rework table to be more 

                      readable when new components are added.(LC34d)

DONE      2004-09-16: Editors to remove 'default' from text 

                      in bullet item "HTTP Method Selection" (LC33)

DONE      2004-09-16: Editors to redo Part 3 Section 3.6.4 

                      to accommodate method and input serialization 

                      defaults.  (LC37)

PENDING   2004-09-16: Hugo to get a URI to use for DTD example 

                      in Appendix E.1 (LC38)

DONE      2004-09-16: Editors to add whttp:location to section 2.1, 

                      the binding operation element (same place 

                      as whttp:defaultTransferCoding)  (LC12)

DONE      2004-09-16: Editors to change use of HTTP Operation 

                      Component to something like Binding Operation 

                      Component augmented by HTTP properties. (LC13)

ED?       2004-09-16: Editors fix the places described in issue 14 

                      to say the value is the component. (LC14)

ED?       2004-09-16: Editors to remove the sentence "Thus, 

                      an interface defines the design of the 

                      application" in section 2.2.1 (LC16)

DONE      2004-09-16: Jonathan to record proposed resolution in 

                      the issues list. (LC17)

PENDING   2004-09-16: Glen to CC Asir on mail to Marc re: SOAP modules 

                      and features (LC18)

 

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/#actions
<http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/#actions> 

[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Sep/0014.html
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Sep/0014.html> 

[.3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Sep/0010.html
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Sep/0010.html> 

[.4] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Sep/0008.html
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Sep/0008.html> 

[.5] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Sep/0032.html
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Sep/0032.html> 

[.6]

http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/4/lc-issues/issues.html?view=wg#LC29g
<http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/4/lc-issues/issues.html?view=wg#LC29g> 

[.7]

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-desc-comments/2004Sep/0025
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-desc-comments/2004Sep/0025> 

.html 

 

 [Allen] ACTION: DBooth to get namespace and URL for Arthur to use for Z
notation. 

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------
4.  Administrivia
  a. - November 9-11 (Sunnyvale, CA) registration .1], logistics [.2]

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/34041/WSD0411/
<http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/34041/WSD0411/> 
[.2] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/4/04-11-f2f.htm
<http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/4/04-11-f2f.htm> 

------------------------------------------------------------------
5.  New (non-LC) Issues.  Issues list [.1].
  - none

[.1]
http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/%7Echeckout%7E/2002/ws/desc/issues/wsd-issues.h
<http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/%7Echeckout%7E/2002/ws/desc/issues/wsd-issues.h> 
tml

------------------------------------------------------------------
6.  Last Call Issues [.1].  Comments list [.2]
  - Many new issues, up to LC47

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/4/lc-issues/
<http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/4/lc-issues/> 
[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-desc-comments/
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-desc-comments/> 

------------------------------------------------------------------
7.  Media Type Description [.1] Last Call status
  - To do:
    - complete all edits.
    - notify XMLP WG
    - prepare for Last Call

[.1]
http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/ws/desc/media-types/xml-media-t
<http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/ws/desc/media-types/xml-media-t> 
ypes.html?content-type=text/html;%20charset=utf-8

[Allen] A couple more ed todos left and action item, then last call? 

------------------------------------------------------------------
8.  Issue LC5f: QA Review on WSDL 2.0 Part 1, intro and conformance
issues (f) [.1]
  - Awaiting Roberto's action

[.1]  <http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/4/lc-issues/issues.html#LC5f>
http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/4/lc-issues/issues.html#LC5f 

------------------------------------------------------------------
9.  Issue LC6d: QA Review on WSDL 2.0 Part 1, Technical comments (d)
[.1]
  - Awaiting Jonathan's action

[.1]  <http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/4/lc-issues/#LC6d>
http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/4/lc-issues/#LC6d

------------------------------------------------------------------
10. Issue LC29b: Review of WSDL 2.0 Pt 3 Last Call WD (b) [.1]

[.1]  <http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/4/lc-issues/#LC29b>
http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/4/lc-issues/#LC29b


 [Allen] Pending action item. 
------------------------------------------------------------------
11. Issue LC29d: Review of WSDL 2.0 Pt 3 Last Call WD (d) [.1]

[.1]  <http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/4/lc-issues/#LC29bd>
http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/4/lc-issues/#LC29bd


[Marsh]
http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-wsdl20-bindings-20040803/#_http_binding_default
_rules
<http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-wsdl20-bindings-20040803/#_http_binding_defaul
t_rules>  
[Allen] What is the example trying to illustrate? 
[Allen] Hugo: David wanted to use the template mechanism for SOAP
serialization 
[Allen]  [Discussed LC 30 and 31 while waiting for DaveO to review ]
[Allen] DaveO: A soap response MEP may modify the serialization. 
[Allen] DaveO: other MEPs may modify the serialization as well. 
[Allen] JM: perhaps link to section on soap response 
[Allen] ACTION: DaveO to add more descriptive text  regarding LC29d . 
------------------------------------------------------------------
12. Issue LC30: use of provider agent & requestor agent terms in 
    the spec [.1]

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/4/lc-issues/#LC30
<http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/4/lc-issues/#LC30> 



[Allen] Need to wait for Sanjiva 
------------------------------------------------------------------
13. Issue LC31: WSDL conformance & XML Schema conformance [.1]

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/4/lc-issues/#LC31
<http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/4/lc-issues/#LC31> 



[Allen] LC 31 discussed at f2f (originally labeled LC 32 then changed to LC
31) 
[hugo] LC31 resolution:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Sep/0038.html
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Sep/0038.html>  
[hugo] see LC32 & s/32/31/ 
[Allen] LC 31 closed at F2F but not indicated in the minutes. 
[Allen] Resolution: accept editors fix and close issue. 
[Allen] Hugo has implemented: LC 32, 36, 33, 37, 13, 12, 11 
[Marsh] Proposal to close LC10, LC36 (editorial) 
[Allen]  Proposal accepted,  LC 10 and LC 36 are resolved. 
[Marsh] ACTION: Marsh to check we have enough Ed AIs.  
 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

14. Issue LC41: Clarification for use of xs:include [.1]

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/4/lc-issues/#LC41
<http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/4/lc-issues/#LC41> 


[Roberto] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Sep/0022.html
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Sep/0022.html>  

 [ Allen] Roberto: Can we point to the note in the schema spec about the use
of fragment identifiers? 

[Allen] JM: WSDL processors should support fragment identifiers to support
cross referencing of schemas. 
[Marsh] Proposal: Add ", such as fragment identifiers (see Schema 4.3.1)," 
[Allen] Roberto: should also apply to section 3.1.1 about importing schema. 
[Allen] Proposal accepted, LC 41 closed. 
[Allen]   ACTION: Editors implement resolution for LC 41. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------
15. Issue LC42: error in part 2, section 3.1.4 [.1]

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/4/lc-issues/#LC42
<http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/4/lc-issues/#LC42> 



[Allen] ACTION: Editors make namespaces consistent per issue LC42. 
------------------------------------------------------------------
16. Issue LC43: Rename <definitions> to <description> [.1]

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/4/lc-issues/#LC43
<http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/4/lc-issues/#LC43> 



[Marsh] Make LC42 editorial, hand it to editors for resolution. 
[dbooth] me +1 to "description" 
[Allen] Roberto: concern that name change will lead to reopening other name
change issues. 
[Allen] Resolved to rename "definitions" to "description". 
[Allen] ACTION: Editors will implement change of "<definitions>" to
"<description>" everywhere. 
 
------------------------------------------------------------------
17. Issue LC45: Part 3 section 3.6.2: {http location} not 
    necessarily a template [.1]

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/4/lc-issues/#LC45
<http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/4/lc-issues/#LC45> 



[Allen] ACTION: Hugo to investigate how to resolve LC 45. 
------------------------------------------------------------------
18. Issue LC47: Issue: describing the HTTP error text for 
    faults [.1]

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/4/lc-issues/#LC47
<http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/4/lc-issues/#LC47> 

------------------------------------------------------------------
Meeting ends.

 
Received on Thursday, 23 September 2004 19:32:46 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Monday, 7 December 2009 10:58:32 GMT