Re: proposal: minor syntax improvement for soap fault bindings

Hi,

I would just note that with all these proposals, we are losing some
implicit semantics enforced by schema, and I'm not quite sure why we
need to do that.

As I understand it (and please correct me if I'm wrong), the main reason
for flattening the status code hierarchy would be to allow minimal fault
instances to be created. However, even with a status code hierarchy
possible in *schema*, there would be no requirement for any application
to use the whole hierarchy in any individual instance, and I think we
would lose something by flattening that structure, unless we defined the
semantics of the flattened list of sub-codes in specification text.

So, I guess I'm saying that I prefer having the *ability* to use nested
status codes, where the structure is visible in the document instance -
I think some applications may find it useful to have the ability to be
wordy in their status reporting, even if most don't. Unless there is
some other good, but as yet unstated reason, I would argue that we
should not flatten the structure in schema purely for the purpose of
creating small instances, which is to say I'm pretty much in agreement
with Sanjiva's original proposal.

An example:

<fault ref="some-ns:RequestID">
  <wsoap:code value="some-ns:Failure" description="Request Failed"/>
    <wsoap:code value="some-ns:Timeout" description="Database Server
Connection Timeout">
      <wsoap:code value="some-ns:ConnectionFailure" description="Could
Not Connect To Database"/>
    </wsoap:code>
  </wsoap:code>
</fault>

But one could always just say:

<fault ref="some-ns:RequestID">
  <wsoap:code value="some-ns:DatabaseServerTimeoutFailure"/>
</fault>

If one wished to be brief.

However, if people also want to be able to stick a list of Qnames in the
first status code element, we could perhaps allow that too, but we would
need to either say explicitly that there is no implication of structure
in the Qname list, or define some associated structure semantics (ie.
that the list was in fact a structured hierarchy of codes).

Cheers,

- JohnK