RE: Which operation?

From: Liu, Kevin <kevin.liu@sap.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 20:12:57 +0200
To: "'Mark Baker'" <distobj@acm.org>, David Booth <dbooth@w3.org>
Cc: www-ws-desc@w3.org

-----Original Message-----
From: www-ws-desc-request@w3.org [mailto:www-ws-desc-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Mark Baker
Sent: Monday, Jun 14, 2004 08:13 PM

>> My answer would be: That depends on the semantics of the application, and
>> the implementation of the provider agent, which are outside the scope of
>> the WSDL 2.0 language.

>I've heard this before, but I don't really buy it, and I don't think any
>WSDL developer would buy it either.  Every use of WSDL I've seen uses
>the wsdl:operation to define the contract.

Hi Mark,

Can you elaborate why wsdl:operation is used to define the contract? To my understanding, the contract is the messages to be exchanged. Operation names provides some application semantics, but have no significance in the run time message.

One might define some operation style (such as RPC style as defined in part 1)  to require that the top element of a message must be named same as the operation name, but the "contract" is still in the message schema.

Best Regards,
Kevin