Re: pls review text added for what "required" means

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 10:52:32 -0400
David Booth <dbooth@w3.org> wrote:
> At 10:06 AM 7/29/2004 -0400, Amelia A Lewis wrote:
> >Ugh, when did we get this awful "requester agent" and "provider agent"
> >language?  I see it's already in the spec.  bleah.
>
> It is the terminology defined in the Web Services Architecture[1] and
> Glossary[2] documents.

Ugh.

Okay, trumped and defeated before the battle begins.

Can we please add an explicit cross-reference to clarify this unduly
obscure language?  Since the clarification already exists:

> True, but this is explicitly clarified in the Web Services
> Architecture[1] document:
> [[
> In most cases, the requester agent is the one to initiate this message
> exchange, though not always. Nonetheless, for consistency we still use
> the term "requester agent" for the agent that interacts with the
> provider agent, even in cases when the provider agent actually initiates
> the exchange.]]
>
> The Web Services Architecture WG spent a lot of time deciding what terms
> to use, and considered a lot of suggestions.  In the end we needed to
> pick something, and these were the terms with the most support.   (A
> number of people were resistant to using the term "client" for example.)

And is WSDL consistent?  We certainly don't use, or need to use, these
terms in part two's MEPs, so far as I can recall.

Also, my objection to "provider agent" stands.  Please, let's use
"service".  Or if someone has a reason to create this synonym, could those
reasons be explained?

Senior Architect
TIBCO/Extensibility, Inc.