input serialization flexibility

From: David Orchard <dorchard@bea.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 16:20:10 -0700
To: <www-ws-desc@w3.org>

I brought up some concerns about the x-www-form-urlencoded serialization at the NY F2F.  I have articulated my biggest concerns with the serialization format at [1].  At the F2F, we voted to disallow the input serialization to vary as part of the soap-response MEP.  I asked for, and I believe I was granted, the opportunity to propose some wording for the Part 3 document that expresses the nature of the concern and rationale.

Proposed text for Section 2.1 Default Binding Rules, bullet #5:

The input serialization format of x-www-form-urlencoded is the only supported serialization format for HTTP GET in the SOAP response MEP.

New sub bullet or text after bullet #5

Note: Use of a different input serialization format requires introduction of either a new MEP or a new binding.  The working group considered the limitations of the x-www-form-urlencoded serialization format, listed in [1] as points #2 and #3.  It decided that the limitations of the serialization format, which could potentially be solved by a serialization format extension, were not sufficiently broad enough to warrant allowing extensibility in input serialization for the soap-response MEP.  The Working Group solicits the public's feedback on this decision.

Cheers,
Dave

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jul/0061.html