Re: Minority objection to requiring unique GEDs or required feature to distinguish operations

On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 07:14:01PM +0100, paul.downey@bt.com wrote:
> Mark wrote:
> >
> >> what about the example where "GuestOperation" and "GoldPayingOperation"
> >> both accept the same message, but the response is different after i've
> >> phoned the service provider and supplied my credit card number.
>
> > That would be ambiguous since the client wouldn't know which operation
> > was used.  It may turn out that this is desirable, but that would just
> > be coincidental.  There are architecturally superior (aka non-ambiguous)
> > ways to do what you want, such as breaking it up into two services and
> > using a single common operation (aka polymorphic dispatch).
>
> it's not ambiguous if the client also knows i've paid my bill ..

Well, that's debateable I suppose, but it also seems a pretty far
fetched scenario to me since it would require that the client know about
the implementation details of the service.  I thought Web services were
supposed to be *loosely* coupled?! 8-O

> - please note i'm trying to represent other people's POV here.

Sure.

Mark.