W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-ws-desc@w3.org > April 2004

Minutes, 15, Apr 2004 WS Desc telcon

From: Allen Brookes <abrookes@roguewave.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 11:40:00 -0700
Message-ID: <D486606E7AD20947BDB7E56862E04C39050DF9@cvo1.cvo.roguewave.com>
To: w3c-ws-desc@w3.org, "'www-ws-desc@w3.org'" <www-ws-desc@w3.org>

Web Services Description Working Group;
2004-04-15 conference call minutes 

Present:
 David Booth            W3C
 Allen Brookes          Rogue Wave Software
 Roberto Chinnici       Sun Microsystems
 Paul Downey            British Telecommunications
 Youenn Fablet          Canon
 Yaron Goland           BEA Systems
 Hugo Haas              W3C
 Amelia Lewis           TIBCO
 Jonathan Marsh         Chair (Microsoft)
 Josephine Micallef     Telcordia/SAIC 
 Jeff Mischkinsky       Oracle
 Dale Moberg            Cyclone Commerce
 David Orchard          BEA Systems
 Arthur Ryman           IBM
 Jerry Thrasher         Lexmark
 Sanjiva Weerawarana    IBM
 Umit Yalcinalp         Oracle

Regrets:
 Erik Ackerman          Lexmark
 Glen Daniels           Sonic Software
 Tom Jordahl            Macromedia
 Jacek Kopecky          Systinet
 Jean-Jacques Moreau    Canon
 Bijan Parsia           University of Maryland MIND Lab
 William Vambenepe      Hewlett-Packard
 Asir Vedamuthu         webMethods
 Prasad Yendluri        webMethods, Inc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
1.	Approval of Minutes

Minutes approved

--------------------------------------------------------------------
3.  Review of Action items [.1].
DONE [.2] 2003-09-18: Marsh to review the QA operational
                      guidelines.
PENDING   2004-01-08: Pauld to write up examples of schemas for the
                      Primer.
PENDING   2004-01-28: Philippe and JMarsh will look at the ipr for 
                      test suite.
PENDING   2004-02-12: DaveO to produce a refined proposal for Asynch 
                      HTTP binding addressing the concerns of folks 
                      that object to leaving replyTo info out of WSDL.
PENDING   2004-03-25: Hugo to look at the Handling Privacy in WSDL 
                      2.0 for issues against our spec.
PENDING   2004-04-01: Marsh will get schema tf going.
PENDING   2004-04-01: Editors to update SOAP 1.2 Strawman proposal to
                      take Part 1 changes into account.
DONE      2004-04-08: Hugo to let Marsh know if anyone hasn't been 
                      reappointed.
DONE [.3] 2004-04-08: Marsh to send response on Schema PER
PENDING   2004-04-08: Editors: to incorporate Youenn's proposal [.2]
                      with Jacek's modifications 
                      (<http:support version="1.1"/>)
DONE [.4] 2004-04-08: Jacek to write up his view of the purpose of the 
                      bindings to be discussed further before 
                      deciding how to close issue x165.
DONE [.5] 2004-04-08: Jmarsh to contact the x56 commenter for further 
                      info. regarding this issue......desired 
                      solutions/still an issue etc.??
DONE [.6] 2004-04-08: Hugo to propose "spec-ready" text for hoisting the
                      Web method feature of SOAP for use in a 
                      non-SOAP binding.

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/#actions
[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Apr/0029.html
[.3]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xml-schema-comments/2004AprJun/0
020.html
[.4] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Apr/0018.html
[.5] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Apr/0033.html
[.6] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Apr/0031.html


--------------------------------------------------------------------- 
4. Administrivia 
a.	Non-renewing members: Ingo Melzer, Michael Mahan, Jim Hendler, Bryan
Thompson 
b.	Upcoming FTFs - May 19, 9:00 AM - 5:30 PM May 20, 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM
(possible task force meetings in the afternoon) May 21, 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Hosted by IBM in NYC [.1] Registration open [.2] - August 2-4 (London)
Logistics [.3], registration [.4].
c.	Charter renewal - everyone needs to be reappointed [.5] d.
WS-Reliability review [.6] 

No volunteers for WS-Reliability - we won't look at it as a working group

------------------------------------------------------------------ 
5. Task Force Status. 
a.	Media type description - Waiting for draft 
b.	QA & Testing - Suggested QA plan
c.	Schema versioning - Waiting to hear back from Schema on my draft
"charter." 

Media type description trying to have telcon.

Everyone should look at QA plan

------------------------------------------------------------------ 
6. New Issues.
*	Http Binding of faults (Hugo) 

HTTP Binding of faults, how to serialize, how to relate to status codes,
Hugo has a proposal.


 <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Apr/0032.html> 

------------------------------------------------------------------ 
7. Issue 165: Adding HTTPS support [.1]

*	Youenn suggests specific text about https: uris 
*	 See also issue 56 - proposal is to close it - it's a hard thing to
get right
*	.Jacek's "purpose of the binding" text 

Youenn will add text about endpoints to Jacek's text about purpose of
binding.

Youenn proposes that we add a marker that indicates whether https can be
used.

Youenn - default is either http or https, marker can constrain to http or
https.

Sanjiva - adding marker is slippery slope to adding markers for other things
like authentication.

Yaron - where do we express expectations and policies for a service?

Umit - The answer is clear, F&P. 

Sanjiva - shouldn't add anything to the core language for this.

Poll - do we need to have a marker to indicate the use of https?
3 yes, 6 no

Resolved to have no marker in core deliverables, add Jacek's text with
Youenn's addition.

Will leave 165 open pending purpose of binding text

------------------------------------------------------------------ 
8. Issue 64 [.1] Operations as HTTP verbs (Mark Baker) [.2, .3, .4]
*	Jacek's synthesis [.5].
*	Awaiting description from Philippe showing how properties or
extensions can be used to annotate the WSDL with RESTful properties. Ask
Mark for a definitive list of those properties so we can consider how to
associate them with property URIs or namespaces. 
*	Does the current draft [.6] with "method" attribute address this
issue? Not completely, Mark [.7] and DavidO [.8] reply. 

DaveO - 2 issues: additional http methods, web method feature at the
interface and binding level.

Jonathan - gave an example of operations with names "get", "post", that bind
to http verbs.

DaveO - not enough, need a way to indicate for operations that have
different names, which REST operation semantic that have.  (Like Atom).

DaveO - need to treat HTTP as transfer protocol, not just transport.

ACTION: DaveO will come up with concrete proposal.

Do we allow only a fixed set of http verbs or do we allow all, including
extensions?

ACTION: Hugo will look at adding extensions to http proposal to allow
arbitrary http verbs.


------------------------------------------------------------------ 
No discussion on remaining issues

------------------------------------------------------------------ 
New Action Items

ACTION: DaveO will come up with concrete proposal

ACTION: Hugo will look at adding extensions to http proposal to allow
arbitrary http verbs.
Received on Thursday, 15 April 2004 14:41:48 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Monday, 7 December 2009 10:58:30 GMT