HTTP binding: binding of faults

From: Hugo Haas <hugo@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 18:03:32 +0200
To: www-ws-desc@w3.org
I realized that the HTTP binding doesn't say anything about faults.

There are two aspects to consider: how they are serialized, and
what kind of HTTP status code is returned.

The serialization should be done the same way as out messages. Adding
a column "Fault serialization" in Table 3-1 in section 3.1.1.1 of Part
3 whose value is application/xml in all cases should do the trick.

For the HTTP status code, I think that we have 3 options:
- not say anything: the requester agent should expect a fault from the
  provider agent, which could be received with any HTTP status code
  (200, 4xx, ...);
- have faults be returned with specific HTTP error codes: e.g., faults
  are returned with a 4xx or 5xx status code.
- offer it to be specified as a property of the HTTP binding with an
  attribute on the http:operation element.

I don't think that the latter is necessary. It would be good IMO to go
with the second option with a SHOULD, i.e. recommend using a 4xx or
5xx status code when a fault is returned.

Regards,

Hugo

  1. http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/REC-soap12-part2-20030624/#http-reqbindwaitstate
--