HTTP versioning proposal

From: FABLET Youenn <youenn.fablet@crf.canon.fr>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 17:15:32 +0200
To: www-ws-desc@w3.org
Here are some thoughts about HTTP versioning (I can provide some more
precise, infoset+component model wordings, if there is consensus).
I suggest to:
    1) create an http:version element which has a value attribute that
will contain the HTTP version used
    2) use the [http | wsoap]:binding element as a placeholder for this
element.
    3) if the http:version element is not present in a description,
HTTP1.1 is implied.

It makes sense to me to add within the wsoap:binding element, pieces of
information that are:
    - related to the use of the soap transport protocol (identified via
the @protocol attribute)
    - applicable to the whole binding and not settable on a
per-operation basis.
This proposal might also depend on the decision about which HTTP options
we want to describe (I assume here that only the version information has
reached consensus).

Here is an illustrating example:
<!-- soap/http binding-->
<wsdl:binding ...>
    <wsoap:binding protocol="http://www.w3.org/2003/05/soap/bindings/HTTP/">
       <http:version value="1.1"/>
       <!-- other http related options if needed -->
    </wsoap:binding>
</wsdl:binding>
<!-- http binding-->
<wsdl:binding ...>