W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-ws-desc@w3.org > April 2004

Minutes, 1 April 2004 WS Desc telcon

From: Jonathan Marsh <jmarsh@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 16:29:23 -0800
Message-ID: <DF1BAFBC28DF694A823C9A8400E71EA203219E72@RED-MSG-30.redmond.corp.microsoft.com>
To: "WS Description List" <www-ws-desc@w3.org>

Minutes, 1 April 2004 WS Desc telcon

Attendence:
 Erik Ackerman          Lexmark
 David Booth            W3C
 Allen Brookes          Rogue Wave Software
 Roberto Chinnici       Sun Microsystems
 Paul Downey            British Telecommunications
 Youenn Fablet          Canon
 Tom Jordahl            Macromedia
 Jacek Kopecky          Systinet
 Amelia Lewis           TIBCO
 Jonathan Marsh         Chair (Microsoft)
 Josephine Micallef     Telcordia/SAIC 
 Dale Moberg            Cyclone Commerce
 Jean-Jacques Moreau    Canon
 David Orchard          BEA Systems
 Arthur Ryman           IBM
 Igor Sedukhin          Computer Associates
 William Vambenepe      Hewlett-Packard
 Asir Vedamuthu         webMethods
 Sanjiva Weerawarana    IBM
 Umit Yalcinalp         Oracle
 Prasad Yendluri        webMethods, Inc.

Regrets:
 Hugo Haas              W3C
 Ingo Melzer            DaimlerChrysler
 Bijan Parsia           University of Maryland MIND Lab
 Jerry Thrasher         Lexmark

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Agenda

1.  Welcome new member: Josephine Micallef of Telcordia/SAIC 
    Assign scribe: David Orchard.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
2.  Approval of minutes:
  - March 25th telcon [.1].

[.1]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Mar/att-0296/minutes
-wsd-2004-03-25.html

Approved

--------------------------------------------------------------------
3.  Review of Action items [.1].
PENDING   2003-09-18: Marsh to review the QA operational
                      guidelines.
PENDING   2004-01-08: Pauld to write up examples of schemas for the
                      Primer.
PENDING   2004-01-28: Philippe and JMarsh will look at the ipr for 
                      test suite.
ASSIGNED TO TF 2004-01-30: DaveO to write up a proposal for augmenting 
                      schema information to enable versioned data.

    ACTION: Marsh will get schema tf going.

PENDING   2004-02-12: DaveO to produce a refined proposal for Asynch 
                      HTTP binding addressing the concerns of folks 
                      that object to leaving replyTo info out of WSDL.
PENDING   2004-03-05: DavidO to notify TAG about our decision on safety.
DONE      2004-03-05: Editors of media type proposal to give Jonathan a 
                      list of open issues.
PENDING   2004-03-11: JMarsh, David Booth, David Orchard to form adhoc 
                      group to explore stylistic rendering options.
DONE [.2] 2044-03-25: Editors to update draft to change the semantics of
                      element=#any to mean *any one element*.
PENDING   2004-03-25: Hugo to look at the Handling Privacy in WSDL 
                      2.0 for issues against our spec.
DONE [.3] 2004-03-25: Part 3 editors to put text about Full 
                      URLReplacement issue back in the spec.
PENDING   2004-03-25: Paul to review the XML Schema PER (by next week).

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/#actions
[.2] http://www.w3.org/TR/wsdl20/#MessageReference_details
[.3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Mar/0300.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------
4.  Administrivia
  a. Upcoming FTFs
     - May 19, 9:00 AM - 5:30 PM
       May 20, 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM 
         (possible task force meetings in the afternoon)
       May 21, 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
       Hosted by IBM in NYC [.1]
       Registration open [.2]
     - August 2-5? [.3] (London? Redmond?)
  b. Charter renewal - everyone needs to be reappointed [.4]
  c. Handling Privacy [.5] review
  d. Schema second edition [.6] review

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/4/04-05-f2f.htm
[.2] http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/34041/WSD0405/
[.3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-ws-desc/2004Mar/0064.html
[.4] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-ws-desc/2004Feb/0033.html
[.5] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0119.html
[.6] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Mar/0204.html

------------------------------------------------------------------
5.  Task Force Status.
 a. Properties and Features (dormant)
 b. Patterns (dormant)
 c. Attributes (dormant)
 d. Media type description: Now officially a joint deliverable [.1]
 e. QA & Testing
  - Response to comments on QA Spec Guidelines [.2]
  - Implement QA Operational guidelines? [.3]
 f. Schema versioning

[.1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-ws-desc/2004Mar/0086.html
[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003Sep/0074.html
[.3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-ws-desc/2003Sep/0023.html

------------------------------------------------------------------
6.  New Issues.  Issues list [.1].
  - HTTP chunk-encoding (Youenn) [.2]

Youenn:  Problems with chunked encoding, HTTP 1.0, and fault 
         Codes.
Asir:    Is this description issue or binding issue?
Youenn:  It's optional, so client may try chunked and then 
         fail. Options:
         1) Could up-level receivers to all support it; 
         2) Could describe chunking capabilities in wsdl; 
         3) perf hits
Marsh:   Maybe Property in binding?
Jacek:   Multipart can't be chunked?
Sanjiva: Seems like transfer-encoding as well
Sanjiva/Arthur: too low level
Sanjiva: Should put http version in wsdl binding
Others:  Chunked encoding can be a WSDL extension done by 
         WS-I.  Would have to be in their ns, etc.
Prasad:  Wants space separated list of properties of HTTP
General: Is this fixing particular implementation problems 
         with HTTP or is it skipping the HTTP negotiation 
         protocols?

ACTION:  Youenn to create a specific proposal for describing 
         the HTTP version.
Marsh will add an issue on describing HTTP optional features.

  - HTTPS support (Youenn) (related to issue 56?) [.3]

Deferred till xx:00

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html
[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Mar/0303.html
[.3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Mar/0304.html

------------------------------------------------------------------
7.  SOAP 1.2 Binding
  - Review Jean-Jacques' schema [.1] outlining an overall approach to
    the binding.

[.1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Mar/0295.html

Marsh:   Define what MEPs are compatible with what SOAP meps 
[Scribe loses track of discussion finding email.  finds it at http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Mar/0295.html]
JJ:      mep attribute specifies which soap mep is used, as 
         there may be a 1 to many correlation between application 
         mEP and soap mep.
Sanjiva: Webmethod attribute are clearly http specific, they 
         should re-use the http binding attribute instead of 
         creating one in wssoap.
Umit:    media types are iana tokens not URIs
Sanjiva: the web methods aren't protocol independent.
Marsh:   How to move forward?
JJ:      Look at each of the items in the proposal in depth 
         Editors will massage and adopt as status quo
ACTION:  Editors to update SOAP 1.2 Strawman proposal to take 
         Part 1 changes into account.
Marsh:   Intention is to take the updated proposal as our 
         status quo and raise issues against it.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Return to HTTPS issue:

Youenn:  HTTPS can be used to do basic authentication, and 
         HTTP 1.1 can do authentication.  Add a few words 
         saying can use HTTPS within soap/http and http binding.  
         Should specify whether the client must authenticate 
         or not.
All:     continuing discussion about whether to describe http 
         optional features
ACTION:  Youenn to provide editors specific text about https: 
         Uris.
Marsh will add the description of authentication requirements as an issue.

------------------------------------------------------------------
8. Issue 64 [.1] Operations as HTTP verbs (Mark Baker) [.2, .3, .4]
  - Jacek's synthesis [.5].
  - Awaiting description from Philippe showing how properties or
    extensions can be used to annotate the WSDL with RESTful 
    properties.  Ask Mark for a definitive list of those properties 
    so we can consider how to associate them with property URIs or 
    namespaces.
  - Does the current draft [.6] with "method" attribute address this
    issue?

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x64
[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003Jan/0103.html
[.3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003Jan/0111.html
[.4] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003May/0094.html
[.5] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003Jul/0095.html
[.6]
http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/ws/desc/wsdl20/wsdl20-bindings.
html#_http

Marsh:   issue is can one get away without operation names when 
         using HTTP.
Sanjiva: drop issue
DaveO:   is he just proposing that the HTTP operations be described 
         as wsdl operations?
ACTION:  Marsh to contact Mark Baker and see if @method satisfies
         him.
Marsh would like to dispose of this issue next week.

Ajourned.

------------------------------------------------------------------
9.  Issue 54: Allow binding to any HTTP method [.1]
  - Is this a subset of issue 64?

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x54

------------------------------------------------------------------
10. Issue 55 [.1] Define binding to HTTP headers
  - Do we want such capability?

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x55
Received on Thursday, 1 April 2004 19:29:39 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Monday, 7 December 2009 10:58:30 GMT