RE: Updating WSDL Component Designators

Can I add your text to the TAG issue 37 text?  The third draft is at [1].
This seems like belonging to option #11 and the ";" option in #10.  I think
the feedback from Roy on the problems of hiearchical naming conventions
within query parameters applies, whether it's a single parameter (your
proposal) or multiple parameters (as described currently in option 11),
fwiw.

Is there any interest in discussing this at the f2f next week?  I can be
available in person.

As a status update, the TAG did discuss issue 37 extensively at July f2f,
but didn't not make significant process.  I would say that the relationship
between issue 37, rddl, the fragment identifier syntax for rddl, the
relationship between rddl frag-ids and wsdl frag-ids, and metadata in URIs
is quite complicated.

I don't think that your statement "The heart of the issue is the
inappropriateness of using fragment identifiers in conjunction with abstract
URIs such as namespaces. " is accurate.  It is not clear that frag-ids can
or can't be used with URIs that may or may not be resolvable.  rfc2396bis[2]
talks about what happens if a representation isn't retrieved, section 3.5...

"As with any URI, use of a fragment identifier component does not
   imply that a retrieval action will take place.  A URI with a fragment
   identifier may be used to refer to the secondary resource without any
   implication that the primary resource is accessible. "

This wording has arisen at least in part because of the WSDL WG's
requirements, as well as RDDL and semantic web usages of fragment
identifiers.

I do believe that the issues that arise from fragment identifiers with
namespace names are still valid, I'm just pointing out that I think it is
legal to do so.

Cheers,
Dave

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2003Jun/0054.html
[2] http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-fielding-uri-rfc2396bis-03.txt

stFlights
http://airline.wsdl/ticketagent/?wsdl-input=TicketAgent.listFlights.list
FlightsRequest
http://airline.wsdl/ticketagent/?wsdl-output=TicketAgent.listFlights.lis
tFlightsResponse
http://airline.wsdl/ticketagent/?wsdl-operation=TicketAgent.reserveFligh
http://airline.wsdl/ticketagent/?wsdl-input=TicketAgent.reserveFlight.re
serveFlightRequest
http://airline.wsdl/ticketagent/?wsdl-output=TicketAgent.reserveFlight.r
eserveFlightResponse

With the additional recursive functionality, and if the targetNamespace
for some reason was a WSDL Component Designator such as
"http://airline.wsdl/ticketagent/?wsdl-interface=TicketAgent", here's
what you'd get:

http://airline.wsdl/ticketagent/?wsdl-interface=TicketAgent;wsdl-input=s
omething

And if the targetNamespace already had a query param, like
"http://airline.wsdl/ticketagent?wsdl", you'd get:

http://airline.wsdl/ticketagent?wsdl;wsdl-interface=TicketAgent

I think this mechanism is reversible.  Comments?

[1]
http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/ws/desc/wsdl12/wsdl12.html#wsdl
-uri-references
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2003Feb/0042.html