Marking WSDL operations as "safe", in scope requirement?

From: David Orchard <dorchard@bea.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 11:34:16 -0800
To: <www-ws-desc@w3.org>
I haven't been able to tell from the drafts, and my apologies for that,
whether WSDL 2.0 supports marking operations as "safe" or not.  I think this
hasn't been addressed yet in the bindings work, but I could be wrong.   I
don't quite see this as a standalone requirement in [1] though R125 comes
close.  Is there intention to support this as part of the bindings work?

As background, I ask this as this was a suggestion of the TAG in the TAG
issue 7 finding [2].  The extracted text is "However, to represent safety in
a more straightforward manner, it should be a property of operations
themselves, not just a feature of bindings."

FWIW, I have also heard some customers want this functionality as they don't
have a standardized "ping" message so they want to use a safe request and
need a way of knowing.

Cheers,
Dave
[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/ws-desc-reqs/