RE: targetResource wording

From: Ugo Corda <UCorda@SeeBeyond.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 17:30:23 -0700
To: <dbooth@w3.org>, <www-ws-desc@w3.org>
David,

>The targetResource is intended to help in discovery or selection of an appropriate service.

My question then would be: why allow only one targetResource?

In your printer example targetResource="http://example.com/printers/HPLaserJet3200/SN1235654007" is used to establish a relationship between PrinterService428 and ManagementService3456 (the relationship being that both services operate on the same physical printer).

But I might also want to express other relationships of PrinterService428 with other services. For example, I might want to say that PrinterService428 relates to PrinterService500 because of the fact that the associated physical printers are both located on the first floor. I'll use targetResource="http://example.com/printers/firstFloorBuildingA" to express this relationship. (This "resource" corresponds to a more abstract concept than targetResource="http://example.com/printers/HPLaserJet3200/SN1235654007", but that should not be a problem because, as you said in a previous note, "a resource can be anything -- a physical object, an abstract concept -- anything").

The same way you use the first targetResource to find a management service for PrinterService428, I could use the second targetResource to find all the printers located on my floor (because I don't want to go up and down the stairs all the time). So I use targetResource="http://example.com/printers/firstFloorBuildingA" and I get back two printer services: PrinterService428 and PrinterService500.

But now I need two targetResource's to be associated with PrinterService428. And, of course, I could go on with other types of relationships, e.g. all the black&white print services in the building, etc.

So, why just one targetResource?

Ugo