From: David Booth <dbooth@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 11:55:58 -0400
To: www-ws-desc@w3.org

I apologize for the lateness of this.  I tried to send it last week, but
evidently it was lost when W2K crashed.

At today's call, I took an action to propose definitions for terms related
to the diagram[1].  My main concern is:

         There should be an obvious naming correspondence between WSDL syntax
         and the real world or conceptual things that WSDL documents describe.

I think this is important to avoid seriously confusing our readers.  So for
our current syntax, I suggest the following terms for the corresponding
"real world" things.  They are somewhat pedantic, but perhaps they'll help.

         The (abstract) interface described by the <wsdl:interface> element.
         It is a collection of wsdl:operations.  The wsdl:interface
         defines how a client can interact with a wsdl:service through an
         agent that is accessed at a location identified by a wsdl:endpoint.

wsdl:service (a/k/a "Web service" or "service")
         The (abstract) service described by the <wsdl:service> element.
         It is accessed through a collection of endpoints, and (if we keep
         the wsdl:@targetResource attribute) it may manipulate some other
         resource that is identified by the wsdl:@targetResource.

         The (abstract) thing that is described by the <wsdl:endpoint> element.
         It provides a location for accessing a particular agent that is
         accessible via particular protocols described by its associated
         binding.  This agent is NOT assumed to be the same as the
         since there may be several agents at different wsdl:endpoints
         corresponding to the same wsdl:service.  (The wsdl:service is
         more abstract than the agent.)  However, interacting with such
         an agent (through a wsdl:endpoint) implies that you are interacing
         with the associated wsdl:service.

         The (abstract) operation template described by the <wsdl:operation>
         element. It is a template for a single interaction with the

         The (abstract) association described by the <wsdl:binding> element.
         It associates an (abstract) interface with transport and serialization

         The (physical or conceptual) resource[2] identified by the
         wsdl:@targetResource attribute.  Multiple wsdl:services that
         refer to the same wsdl:targetResource are assumed to "manipulate"
         the same resource, though what "manipulate" means is application-
         defined.  The wsdl:targetResource is NOT assumed to be the same
         entity as the wsdl:service, though in some cases it could be the
         same entity.

1. Diagram:
2. RFC2396 def of "resource": http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt

David Booth