Re: Terminology

From: David Booth <dbooth@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 10:09:41 -0400
To: www-ws-desc@w3.org

Per my action item, I checked the definitions in our Requirements
document[1], and they are consistent with the definitions that I
proposed[2], though they are for a different purpose and explained at a
very different level.  I also verified against the current WSDL 1.2 Core
document[3] and they are pretty consistent there, with one notable
exception in the intro:

         "WSDL further considers that an interface represents (some of)
         the behavior of a resource on the World-Wide-Web. A service can
         thus be seen as a collection of endpoints bound to the same resource."

Assuming the word "resource" in the above paragraph is refering to the
thing identified by the wsdl:@targetResource (if we keep it!), then I think
that last sentence is incorrect or misleading, because the endpoints are
not (directly) bound to the resource.  A collection of *services* may be
bound to the same resource.

Aside from that, I think the explanation in the intro is very good, and I
don't think it needs as much detail as I was proposing[2].  I suggest that
the additional detail that I proposed be merged in with the detailed
"Content Model" descriptions of service, interface, operation, etc. in
section 2.2 of the core draft[5].